- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Make An Awesome Sock Puppet!
Intro To The Awesome Sock Puppet!
One of the most awesome things of being little is to walk around with a friend on your hand... a little sock that came to life. Now you can explore, make plays, tell jokes with it, whatever you do it's way more fun when you have a cool sock puppet.
Sometimes you don't want the sock puppet, but it's a great toy to play with a child with, most times it will make them laugh, or at least smile... we all want that! However, some children have a fear of puppets so be aware of this if you are introducing a sock puppet to them for the first time, and if they are afraid of it, DON"T push them.. they will come to terms with it on their own sometime. For those kids that love sock puppets though, the ones that laugh here are the directions to make an awesome sock puppet!
Supplies You Will Need To Make Your Sock Puppet:
To make your sock puppet you will need your supplies, don't worry... most are easily found if not already in your house. Cheap, easy supplies that can be loads of fun later on!
You will need:
- A clean sock that is slightly larger then your child's hand, a light colored sock usually works best... :)
- Permanent marker
- Felt pieces
- Googly eyes
- Mini pom poms, glittery or not.
Instructions: Make A Sock Puppet:
Now start making your new little sock puppet!
- Put the sock on your hand, hold it as if it looks like it has a mouth, using the permanent marker draw on the eyes, nose, mouth... be creative, if it has whiskers draw those! You are getting the idea now.
- Now you start cutting your felt to shapes that you want, cut out the ears, nose... does it have kitty ears? Or maybe it's a dog...
- Apply the cut shapes to your puppet with glue, the earlier marker spots are verifying where the newly cut out felt pieces are going.
- Add googly eyes with the glue! Looks for the right colors, maybe it has two different colors or different sizes! A Note: If your sock puppet is for children younger then 3 years old you should leave the eyes as marker drawn due to small pieces the child could choke on, if this is the case you can add more detail onto the eyes if you want... drawing the eyes also allows you more freedom on the look.
- Cut and glue yarn to your puppet for hair.. or maybe if it's an animal like a horse you can add the mane with yarn. Adding colorful or sparkly pom poms to you puppet can be fun too! It's your puppet make it how you want it, use your imagination!
- Let dry, make sure all pieces are secure and enjoy! :)