Making Bath Bomb is easy and fun!
Bath bomb is becoming popular
Using bath salts is popular in Japan and you can purchase many different kinds include the mineral from famous Hot Springs. It was very hard to find and expensive to purchase in a few years ago in US. I used to bring back from Japan or ask my family to send to us. But now, the bath bomb is getting very popular in US and it is getting reasonable to purchase. And I have learned how to create by your own. I was very happy to learn how to make bath bomb and we can use them everyday without getting worry about where to purchase next.
Bath bomb Making kit from Amazon
Bath bomb making kit - DecorRom
We used the kit for this time, but the different ingredients. The kit showing above has 12 colors and 5 sets of cups and shrink wrapper. The box is about 5x4x3 inches and it is not large. But it is very useful set. Although the Liquid dye has images of the fruit etc., there are no scent to it. Those are just coloring. You need to add your own favorite fragrance oil. It has a direction, but you need to get your own ingredients. This instruction is using baking soda, Citric Acid, Hemp Seed Oil and Fragrance Oil. Our ingredients are Baking Soda, Citric Acid, Corn Starch, Epsom Salt, Coconut Oil, Witch Hazel and Sweet Orange Fragrance. I am sure there are many different ingredients people make and good for your skin. Please find your best one for your needs.
Choose your ingredients and prepare tools
I will list 2 types of ingredients. Please choose one of them. If you have other ingredient from other source, you can try to see if you like it better. Also you will need following tools:
plastic cups for mixing colors
spoons for mixing colors
bath bomb mold
paper dishes to place the bath bomb to air dry
dryer (If you are using shrink wrap)
plastic wrap (If you are not using shrink wrap)
gloves (If your hand is sensitive)
Bath bom Ingredients - choose one of them
Ingredient from kit:
- 3 cups baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups citric acid
- 1.5 ounces hemp seed oil
- 12 milliliters fragrance oil
Ingredient from us:
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 cup epsom salt
- 2 table spoons coconut oil
- 2 table spoons witch hazel
- 4 milliliters fragrance oil
- Mix dry ingredients in the large bowl with hand mixer.
- Mix wet ingredients include fragrant oil. If you are using coconut oil, you need to melt ahead of the time.
- Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients. It is very important that to mix very small amount at the time. Ciric acid will start bobbling if you do not mix fast enough. It is a key to mix fast to not to make citric acid to react.
- Once mixed well, it is ready to coloring. Take some white ingredient into individual cups, add your favorite color by spoon. If you add more color, it gets darker. I prefer light color. I used about 2 drops for a half cup ingredient per color.
- Molding: Put 1 spoonful ingredient into the mold and press gently. Repeat and keep adding the ingredient until the mold gets full. It need to be overfill both side of molds.
- Press together both side of mold to make a ball shape. Shake and hit gently to make form inside. Open one side to make sure it is formed. Take out gently and place onto the plate to dry.
- Once it is formed, wrap with plastic wrap. If you are using shrink wrap, Put the bath bomb into the bag and air dry with dryer until wrapped nicely.
How to make bath bomb imagesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Do not have to be perfect shape.
If you could not make a nice shape, it could be too wet or too dry. You can adjust the moisture and try it again. Even If you could not make a nice shape, do not worry, you can still use as bath additives. Just put into some bags and use it when you take a bath. You could put in the cute bin or bag and use them as gifts too.
My daughter made 28 bath bombs for her class mates and teachers. We included a piece of paper listed the ingredients just in case someone has an allergy.
Enjoy making bath bombs!