Finished Mustache Wallet
Fun Activity for One or More
The mustache wallet is a fun project to make by yourself, or with someone else. It’s made with duct tape which is a very sturdy, and very adhesive tape, so it can be easier if you have another person that can help lay the tape down. Duct tape is also considerably cheap, so if you mess up anywhere, such as laying one on top of the other and you get a big crease in it, you can just toss it and do it again!
Duct tape comes in a huge variety. Every color of the rainbow and several fun designs and pictures, like the mustache duct tape. In the video I use mustache tape, but you can choose any of the available duct tapes at your local hardware store. If you like contrast then just pick two colors that compliment each other such as mustache design with black duct tape.
At the bottom of the page you will find a still shot video of a mustache wallet while it is being made.
The manner in which you lay down the tape will determine the end result. If you want a lot of mustache on your wallet then, use mainly the tape with mustaches. If you want minimal mustaches on your wallet, then use more of the other color you chose. I chose the basic grey as my second color. I didn’t want the wallet to be overwhelmed with mustaches.
- Rip four strips of mustache duct tape about 6 to 7 inches long and hang them in a convenient location.
- Take one of the four strips and lay it down sticky side up.
- Take a second piece and slightly overlap the first piece.This is the outside of the wallet.
- This will be one side of the inside of the billfold.Take the 3rd piece and lay it on top of the first piece, sticky side down.This is where it may help to have an assistant.If the tape is not laid down evenly it will have lumps and bumps from the trapped air in between.It is very difficult, if not impossible, to remove this trapped air. An assistant can help by holding the tape, sticky side down, over the other tape that is sticky side up, while the other person presses the tape down, starting at one and and sliding down the length of the tape to the other end.
- Now for the last piece of the four, lay it, sticky side down, on top of the bottom section, overlapping as the bottom ones are.
- Rip another four strips of tape and hang them up.This will be the inside of the billfold on one side and the inside of the wallet on the other.
- Lay them and stick them together just as you did in steps 2 through 5.You should have two sections about 6 or 7 inches in length and about 3 or 4 inches tall.Lay one on top of the other paying attention to which part is the outside, inside of billfold area and which part is on the inside.
- Trim the jagged edges from the wallet.Use a paper cutter if one is available to make the edges straight.
Card Holder SlotsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Make the Card Holders
Now you’re going to make the card holders that go on the inside of the wallet and an id holder.
- Rip strips of tape the length of one side of the wallet for card holders. If you want 2 card pockets rip 4 strips. If you want 3 pockets then rip six strips.
- Take two of the pieces and lay one down, sticky side up. Lay the other one down on top of it, sticky side down and overlapping about a ¼ inch. Have your assistant help you again here. Any wrinkles or trapped air will be there for good. So lay the duct tape down as smoothly as possible.
- Fold over the overlapping ¼ inch so it makes a nice top edge of the card holder. Do this for the other pieces of duct tape until you have your desired amount of pockets.
- Line up the card holder pieces on one half of the wallet, one below the other.
The Final TouchesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Plastic Window for Your ID
Now you are going to make the area that holds your id. Find a piece of clear plastic. I used a plastic cover from an old DVD case. (This part can be done now or after you have duct taped the sides and center in the next step, finishing touch. Its up to you.)
- Cut the plastic to a little smaller than one side of the wallet.
- Lay the plastic on the opposite side of the card holders and secure into place with the duct tape.
You're Done! Congratulations!
This is the finishing touch. You’ll adhere duct tape to make the wallet look “clean” and secure it.
- Rip a piece of tape the height of the wallet and rip it in half length wise.
- Lay each piece on opposite ends of the wallet and wrap then around so half is on the inside and half is on the outside. This makes the wallet look nice on the ends.
- Now take a strip of duct tape and adhere it down the center of the wallet securing the card holders and the inside edge of the id holder with it. Fold the top of this piece of tape over the first part of the billfold.
- Rip one piece of duct tape the length of the wallet and rip it again in half length wise.
- Adhere these to pieces at the top and the bottom of the wallet. This piece secures the bottom of the wallet so the billfold area will hold bills and it makes the top of the wallet look “clean”.
Now put your cards, id and money in your wallet because YOU’RE DONE! CONGRATULATIONS!