- Arts and Design»
All About Singer Sewing Machines, Featherweights, and Where to Get Singer Manuals
Singer sewing machines are one of the most well-known sewing brands in the U.S. The company was started by Isaac Merrit Singer in 1851, along with partner Edward Clark, and the first naming of the company was from the owner - "I M Singer & Co." which was subsequently changed in 1853 to the familiar "Singer Manufacturing Company." The name stayed the same until 1963 when the company changed its name to "The Singer Company."
The Singer sewing machine company now owns the White brand of sewing machines, and when looking at the singer manual page from their company website (see link under "Singer Sewing Machine Manuals & Product Information"), enter a 'W' in front of the model number. Many different White sewing machine manual can be found on the Singer website.
The Singer Sewing Company now makes both very basic and inexpensive machines all the way to high-end sewing & embroidery machines. Singer also makes sergers and irons that were made to go along with sewing, inside sewing rooms. Their website lists over 40 different sewing machines and embroidery machines to read about along with their models of sergers.
Fun Trivia Involving Singer:
- According to the Singer corporate website, the Statue of Liberty is believed to be in Isabella Singer's likeness.
- The trademark red colored 'S' & girl was debuted in 1870, and has since become one of the most well-known trademarks around.
- You can tell where a Singer Featherweight machine was made by looking at its original color.
- Singer Company: What is the history of the Singer Sewing Machine Company? 1999, Company Website. Site accessed 1-8-2011.
- Singer Featherweight Facts and some myths exposed. Singer-Featherweight.com. Site accessed 1-13-2011.
Singer History & Company Research
- Isaac Singer (1811-1875)
A U.S. GenWeb project profiling the man Isaac Singer who started the Singer company.
- Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine History
History on the famed Singer Featherweight, with resources on dating your model, determining condition and cleaning your model.
- Sewing Machine History
History of the sewing machine in general, and examples of early patented models, including a Singer model from 1851.
- Singer Corporation - Wikipedia
Singer company timelines, and historical information.
Singer Sewing Machine Manuals & Product Information
- SINGER SEWING CO. | Manuals
Search for Singer sewing machine manuals. Enter your model number to see if they have the manual. Some manuals are free and some need to be purchased.
- Singer Sewing Company Information
Research page on older Singer sewing machines. Information listed in a helpful table format includes serial numbers and model numbers.
- SINGER SEWING CO. | Resources
Singer sewing machine resources, such as pressor feet instructions, stitch reference guide, operations basics, and model support.
- Singer Feather Weight Manuals
The 221 and 222 owner's manual, Featherweight service manual, 222 Freearm applications, and accessory instructions.