- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Seed Envelope Birdhouse
Don't Toss Those Empty Seed Envelopes!
"Mom, I'm bored" How many times do we here that over Summer Vacation? Way too many that's for sure. Here's a cost free (you probably have all the supplies already needed) project they can do. Younger children may need help. Makes great little gifts for Grandparents and friends too.
This a great upcycled Summer project. Simply use the empty seed packets from your veggies and.or flowers that you have already planted. What better way to be creative than using what you have. Recycle, reduce, reuse :)
7 empty seed Packets
Paste or glue stick
Piece of plain paper
dried moss, artificial vines, flowers, birds, nest and eggs, glue gun
Basics: Choose two packets for the house front and back. Cut tops open straight across. Cut open the remaining five packets across the bottoms. Set iron to low and press packets with the sheet of paper covering them; paste cut edges closed. As you create your house, press folds and paste any cut edges together.
1. Front and Back: Following image 1, mark vertical middle on back of two packets and fold top corners down to meet on the line, press. Trace a quarter on front for hole, cut out. Paste edges.
2. Sides: Fold back 1/4" on each side edge of two more packets. Matching length of sides on front (A-B), cut a 1/4" long slit into edges at B. Fold bottoms under and paste 1/4" tabs together at the corners (4).
3. Bottom: From one layer of another packet, cut a rectangle, a little smaller than the width of the front by width of the sides. Cut two 1"x1/4" tabs from leftover pieces of packet.
4. Assembly: Paste a tab to the top of each side. Position sides apart at same width as the front. Paste bottom lining inside. Paste the front and the back to the 1/4" tabs.
5. Roof: Adjoin top edges of two packets. Join with a strip of packet paper on wrong side. Fold under 1" at each end and paste. Spread paste to folded corners and tabs at top of house. Attach roof even with back and extending front.
6. Decorating: You may place a little moss inside the your house, decorate the outside using your glue gun with dried flowers, artificial vines, nest eggs, bird or anything you desire. Each one will come out unique and beautiful.