ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

The cardboard trophy

Updated on February 21, 2015

The cardboard trophy heads and faux trophy heads became very poluar lately. Although I was not such a big fan of them at first, they creeped under my skin in time.

Since I couldn't make my mind if I wanted the compact or the layered variant of the trophy head; I just started cutting the cardboard and once I had all the layers I decided to mix the two ideas and made a compact one from a layerd one. It was more fun than it sounds.

For this project I used cardboard...a lot of it, actualy it was recicled compact cardboard from several boxes.

I started drawing the outline of the gyraffe head in crayon so I can adjust the lines, even so it isn't really perfectly symetric, but I like it just the same.

With every layer I decreased the size or kept it even untill I got the stack of cardboard cutouts you can seein the immage.

Once I was done I started sticking them together. At first I used glue, but since the surface was so big, I ended up using a lot of glue on te first few cardboard slices. At this point the project was begining to get less cost efficient.

Lucky I found a new and cheaper solution. I used scotch, I made a double tape from a single side tape, by baking a loop of tape with the sticky side facing up, then glued the ends of the loop together, this way it transformed in a double sided tape.

I sticked the tape loops as tight as possible so the cardboard construction would be firmer and well wiggle as little as possible. Just to make sure the parts are well glued, I left the head to stick together undr a heavy object...in my case a big book.

One day later I prepared drywall plaster and started smoothing the edges of the head, in the end it looked more like a head then like a cartoon sculpture. Besides smoothing the edgesa t some point Imstarted adding volume to make the flat ears and horns to look more realistic.

Tip: when using drywall plaster, make small amounts , preferabley a bit more runny than you wish it, because this type of plaster has the bad habbit of drying very quick.

After drying, some cracking is expected, so don't panik.

I smoothed the surface before filling the gaps. In order to smooth it I used a medium grain sandpaper, it worked like magic, and in the end it looked amazing.

When you sandpaper it, make sure you are not inside, and if you are, do this in a well ventilated room or using a protection mask and have a vacum cleaner handy.

Adter removing all the dust and loose parts, I fixed the missing parts and cracks with fresh plaster. From this point , the giraffe dried completely another day, then I removed the excess of plaster overt he parts I did over, leaving the fixed cracks untouched.

For a nicer finish and for protection I decided to paint it. I used rgular white paint I used for painting the iron fence.

Although you must agree, it looks nice, I don't hink I am done yet, I am thinking of drawing with some Sharpies, flowers just like those on the masks of 5 de mayo...but this is still something to think for now, it sits peacefully on the wall of the enterance hallway.

I agree, the photo has poor lightning, but unfortunately my enterance hall is rather dark. But I enjoy every day I come home and my giraffe greets me.

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.

    Click to Rate This Article