About Samuel John Peploe - Scottish Colourist Painter
Introducing Samuel John (SJ) Peploe (1871 - 1935)
SJ Peploe is a very popular Scottish Colourist painter who worked in the late 19th century and early 20th century. He is most well known for his still life paintings - influenced by both Manet and Cezanne and his landscapes of the Scottish islands
In 2012-13, the National Gallery of Art in Scotland is holding a major retrospective exhibition of Peploe's paintings
This site provides a compendium of links to sites with information about the artist and where you can see his paintings online and in exhibitions, art museums and galleriesIt also lists books about Peploe.
One new book and a major revision of an existing book were published in 2012 to mark the major retrospective exhibition of his work in Edinburgh.
Image: SJ Peploe - self-portrait (crop) By Samuel Peploe [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
BOOK: S. J. Peploe - by Alice Strang, Frances Fowle, Elizabeth Cumming
This book was produced for the major retrospective exhibition of the paintings of S.J. Peploe at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh in 2013.
It's an indispensable guide to the work of this very popular Scottish painter and member of the Scottish Colourists.
The cover of the book is his painting of a coffee pot which broke an auction record for a the sale of a painting by a Scottish Artist
The life of Samuel John Peploe - biographical information
Samuel John Peploe (known as SJ Peploe) was a Post-Impressionist Painter who was a member of the group of Scottish painters known as the Scottish Colourists.
The influence of both Cezanne and Manet is obvious in his paintings of landscapes and still life.
Born: 27 January 1871 at 39 Manor Place in Edinburgh | Died: 11 October 1935, Edinburgh
- Collegiate School in Charlotte Square
- 1893-4 Royal Scottish Academy Schools;
- Academie Julian (studying with neo-classicist William Bouguereau) - winning the Silver Medal in 1894 - and Acadmie Colarossi in Paris
- Initially Dutch Masters (dark backgrounds) and
- subsequently French Painting - Cezanne and Manet (re. still life).
- Matisse and Van Gogh.
- He maintained a brilliant palette on this return to live in Scotland. Latterly more tonal painting was enlivened by brilliant colour chords
Married: 1910 - Margaret McKay
Lived: 1910-1912 - Paris and Edinburgh
Member of: The Royal Scottish Academy and The Scottish Colourists
Subjects: Still Lifes (mainly flowers) and Landscapes and occasionally figures.
- He only painted in oils and had no time for watercolour.
- His process of picture-making involved "an obsessive need to practice, to observe and contemplate". He tended to destroy what he regarded as unsatisfactory.
- Drawing was very important to him and he practiced drawing constantly and drew all his life.
1896: Professional career commenced
Exhibited his first work in 1897 and thereafter regularly at the Royal Scottish Academy, and the Royal Glasgow Institute.
1903: first solo exhibition at The Scottish Gallery - 20 works were sold
1936: Peploe's Memorial Exhibition at the Royal Scottish Academy
Studio: 1905 - 32 York Place (Henry Raeburn's old studio)
Travelled to paint in:
- 1894: Barra - where he met his future wife
- 1896: North Berwick - he used small transportable panels for his paintings
- 1904 onwards - he painted in Northern France every summer and the Hebrides (with J. D. Fergusson)* France - Fauvist panels painted in Royan (1910), Cassis (1911, 1913).
- Iona (with Francis Cadell) - painting landscapes and marine art. Peploe visited Iona in 1920 and then returned most summers - almost always painting at the northern end of the island.
Images: "Still Life - Apples and a Jar" by Samuel Peploe, via Wikimedia Commons
More about Samuel John Peploe - A Scottish Colourist Post-Impressionist Painter
Still Life of Mixed Rose in Chinese Vase By Samuel Peploe [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- Samuel Peploe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Samuel John Peploe (27 January 1871 - 11 October 1935) was a Scottish Post-Impressionist painter, noted for his still life works and for being one of the group of four painters that became known as the Scottish Colourists.
- Introduction to SJ Peploe - National Galleries of Scotland
Peploe is most celebrated for his still lifes. They developed in several distinct phases
- Early Success The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe - Exhibitions − What's On − National Gallerie
Throughout his career, Peploe maintained a studio practice, focussing on the genres of the still life and figure study, as well as painting landscapes en plein air.
- S J Peploe Biography | Portland Gallery
Biography of Samuel John Peploe, RSA (1871-1935)Text by Guy Peploe from 'The Dictionary of Scottish Painters: 1600 to the present day'
SJ Peploe in Museums and Art Galleries
"Although his work never became abstract, it was characterised by tight composition, strong colour and assured handling."
National Galleries of Scotland
- Samuel John Peploe - National Galleries of Scotland
30 paintings by Samuel john Peploe
- Samuel John Peploe RSA - Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums Collections -
Landscapes and still life paintings by Samuel John Peploe RSA
- Works by Samuel John Peploe :: The Collection :: Art Gallery NSW
Works by Samuel John Peploe
- S J Peploe | Portland Gallery
The Portland gallery specialises in the Scottish Colourists
- A&A | Still life with jug and grapes
Still life with jug and grapes 1920-1925Peploe, Samuel John
SJ Peploe - Retrospective Exhibition of Life and Artwork (2012-13) - at Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art
A major exhibition was held at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (3rd November 2012 - 23rd June 2013)The exhibition follows a chronological timelines of his work. It is devoted to the artist in his home town of Edinburgh, and throws fascinating new light on Peploe's life, on the influence of France on his work, and on his posthumous reputation.
- The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe - Exhibitions - What's On - National Galleries of Scotland
The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe3rd November 2012 - 23rd June 2013Modern Two (Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art)An extensive retrospective of SJ Peploe and the second exhibition in the Scottish Colourist series.
- Video − The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe − Exhibitions − What's On − National Galleries of S
This short film explores the life and work of Scottish Colourist S.J. Peploe. It particularly focuses on his archive, part of which belongs to the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.
- Highlights − The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe − Exhibitions − What's On − National Galleries
Works on show in The Scottish Colourist Series: SJ Peploe. Select the OPEN links to read more about a work, and select the image to enlarge it.
- SJ Peploe and Kirkcudbright: Events Calendar - What's On - National Galleries of Scotland
The Scottish Colourist SJ Peploe first visited Kirkcudbright in 1915 to see EA Taylor and Jessie M King with whom he had become friends in Paris before the First World War. Rachel Smith, Doughty Hanson Assistant Curator, will examine Peploe's place w
- S. J. Peploe: Scottish Colourists @ Scottish Gallery of Modern Art, Edinburgh - Izzie Turley
Review of the exhibition - S. J. Peploe: Scottish Colourists @ Scottish Gallery of Modern Art
- SJ Peploe’s coffee pot | art fn
This month's Drawing Room was led by modern painter Eric Cruikshank. It was held in the exhibition of Scottish Colourist Samuel John Peploe, currently showing at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. Eric took us through Peploe's earlier and l
Samuel John Peploe: An Illustrated History - by Guy Peploe
This is the original edition of this book by Guy Peploe
Paintings by SJ Peploe at Auction
The Coffee Pot, painting by Samuel John Peploe, R.S.A. (1871-1935) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
- 1m coffee pot smashes art record - News - Scotsman.com
1m coffee pot smashes art record
SJ Peploe in Online Galleries
websites provide access to images of the paintings by SJ Peploe.
- ARTCYCLOPEDIA - Samuel John Peploe Online
Samuel John Peploe [Scottish Painter, 1871-1935] Guide to pictures of works by Samuel John Peploe in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.
- The Athenaeum - Samuel John Peploe
Displaying artworks for Samuel John Peploe
- BBC - Your Paintings - Samuel John Peploe
Explore the paintings of Samuel John Peploe in the National Collection and find out where you can see them...Includes Slideshow of 199 paintings by SJ Peploe
The Scottish Colourists: 1900-1930
I have a copy of this book - and it took me a very long time to find a copy!This is one of the principal books about the Scottish Colourists - Cadell, Fergusson, Hunter and Peploe
About The Scottish Colourists
The Scottish Colourists are: John Duncan Fergusson, Francis Cadell, Samuel Peploe and Leslie Hunter.
- Scottish Colourists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Scottish Colourists were a group of painters from Scotland whose postnist work was not very highly regarded when it was first exhibited in the 1920s and 1930s due to its highly developed use of colour. It aimed to subvert the classical use of ton
- Winsor & Newton Resource Centre - Article: The Scottish Colourists
Article: The Scottish Colourists
- John Duncan Fergusson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Duncan Fergusson (9 March 1874 – 30 January 1961) was a Scottish artist, regarded as one of the major artists of the Scottish Colourists school of painting.
- Francis Cadell (artist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Francis Campbell Boileau Cadell RSA (12 April 1883 – 6 December 1937) was a Scottish Colourist painter, renowned for his depictions of the elegant New Town interiors of his native Edinburgh, and for his work on Iona.
- Leslie Hunter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Scottish painter, he also spent fifteen formative years from the age of fifteen in the USA, mainly in California.. He was later regarded as one of the four artists of the Scottish Colourists group of painters
Articles about SJ Peploe
- S J Peploe - The French Connection
This summer, we are taking the opportunity to showcase around 29 of our key works by Peploe at St Andrews Museum while their usual home - Kirkcaldy Museum & Art Gallery - is closed for refurbishment.
- S J Peploe drawing is secured for nation - Arts - Scotsman.com
The untitled drawing by S J Peploe is a stylised image of an interior, which closely resembles a still life the artist painted in about 1912.