- Arts and Design»
Adult Coloring Books
Grab your crayons
There are few activities left from my childhood that I really miss but coloring is one of them. I loved this simple and relaxing time, It was one of my every day creative activities and it has been for kids around the world for more than 100 years.
Now it seems that millions of adults around the world have rediscovered their love of creating colorful pages. Adult coloring books have become one of the best sellers on Amazon. I started hearing about this "trend" by a friend who had been gifted "The Secret Garden" by Johanna Basford. As of this writing more than 2500 people have reviewed this one book on Amazon. The popularity of this unique and beautiful coloring book and the subsequent selling of more than two million copies worldwide it said to have started this coloring trend.
What are adult coloring books?
Don't expect to find the large black and white rounded graphics from your childhood books. Instead you will discover beautiful intricate patterns (mandalas) and detailed black and white illustrations. Some coloring books are following the popularity of the "treasure hunt" series by hiding other illustrations for you to discover while coloring. There are many series to choose from so it's not uncommon for people to have more than one coloring books going at a time.
Why are adults coloring?
- An outlet for creative expression
- Stress relief
- For relaxation and centering
- Revisiting the joy of color
- Thought to improve fine motor skills and vision
- It's a low cost trend
- Helps with focus
- A new social activity
- It's fun!
Are you a fan of adult coloring books?
Tools of the Trade
This relaxing hobby is relatively low cost and is easy to begin.
- Consider the tools: choose your medium either good old schoolhouse crayons, Crayola twistable colored pencils, gel markers, fine tip pens or colored pencils.
- Choose a coloring book. Depending on the publisher coloring books range from $4.00-$10.00. Designs vary from henna inspired designs, mandalas, nature, animals, flowers, travel i.e. Paris, New York, Toyko, London, fantastic cities and more! The amount and style of books has increased now that more and more adults are expressing an interest in coloring away stress.
- Start coloring. Many adults have a nightly or weekly coloring ritual to slow down from a hectic day or week, to remember to be in the moment, to step away from the technological world or to center themselves.
Did you know that psychiatrist Carl Jung prescribed coloring to his patients to calm and center them? Coloring can be a tool in relieving anxiety!
Adult Coloring Books
- Coloring Techniques
The best quality art and coloring products for adult coloring books. Coloring art supplies include colored pencils for coloring, ink pens that don't bleed on coloring pages and crayons for beginner colorists.
- Amazon.com: Coloring Books for Adults: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle
Online shopping from a great selection at Books Store.
- Coloring For Adults 101: Your Complete Guide - diycandy.com
This is the ultimate guide to coloring for adults! Get marker and pencil product reviews, basic instructions, coloring book recommendations, and more.
- 13 Colorful Facts About Crayola | Mental Floss
The crayons debuted in 1903. Tiny nostrils were never the same again.
- 10 Adult Coloring Books To Help You De-Stress And Self-Express
We're fairly certain elementary school had all the answers. Nap time, snack time, recess, second nap time -- how could any third-grader not be completely zenned out? Another major factor in our eterna
- 25 FREE Adult Coloring Pages - * THE COUNTRY CHIC COTTAGE (DIY, Home Decor, Crafts, Farmhouse)
Get 25 FREE adult coloring pages here. Print these for free at home and join in the relaxing activity of coloring! Adults and kids alike will love this!
- 7 Reasons Adult Coloring Makes Sense
© 2015 Writing Nag