Crafting with Books
Books may not be the first thing to come to mind when you think of crafting, but book crafts can be fun and when you're done, you'll have a unique item like none other.
Books can be made into purses, secret storage containers (see photo here of a book safe), and wall hangings to name just a few fun crafts made from books.
Photo of a hollow book, which is also known as a book safe. Photo Credit: Peggy Hazelwood
Make a Hollow Book -- Book Safe - Use it to store secret items
Save Old Books!
Rescue old books that are falling apart.
Make book crafts.
How to Make a Hollowed Book - Book Storage Box - Book Safe
Check out the step by step photos online using the links below for ideas
This book craft is easy but how the book looks in the end will depend on your skill level and patience in cutting out the hollow space in the book pages. Children can help with some of this book craft. The cutting should be done by an adult.
Skill Level: Beginner / Intermediate
Supplies needed: Book you are finished reading, three or more clothespins or binder clips, decoupage medium/glue (like Mod Podge brand), paintbrush, Xacto knife or other craft knife, ruler, pencil
1. Begin by wiping off the book, removing any dust. Be sure to wipe the edges of the book.
2. Open the book leaving several pages at the front so when someone opens the book, it still looks like a book. Use the clothespins or clips to secure the pages to the front cover.
3. Place an old cloth like a towel on the work surface (not paper since the Mod Podge can stick to paper but the cloth will release easily without leaving paper on the book cover).
4. Open the Mod Podge and begin painting the three edges of the open book with Mod Podge. This is to hold the pages together. Wipe off any glue/decoupage medium from the back book cover.
5. Place a cloth on top of the stack of pages and set a couple of bricks or other heavy item to keep the book pages as they dry. Let the glue dry completely.
6. Decide on the design of the opening. You can make a small square in the center or a larger rectangle or a rectangle with a curved top as shown in this photo.
7. Use a ruler and pencil to mark the shape on the top book page.
8. Begin cutting into the book pages with the craft knife. This is tricky so please do not let children do this part. The sharper the knife, the better. Saw the pages to the desired depth a few pages at a time (leave some pages on bottom; do not go all the way to the back book cover). Carefully remove the book page shape and clean up the edges with the craft knife to remove bits of paper that are not cut all the way.
9. Now apply the Mod Podge or decoupage glue to the edges of the book where you cut to hold them together. For a cleaner look, try not to get glue on the bottom page that is exposed. If desired, glue scrapbook or other decorative paper to the bottom of the book opening. Let the glue dry.
Put the book safe on your bookshelf or give it away! Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Peggy Hazelwood
Book Safes on eBay - Great book crafts as gifts
When you want a unique gift but don't have time to make it yourself, one of these hollowed books is just the ticket. Use it to store an iPad, valuables, jewelry, money, whatever you have that needs to be hidden!
A Book Safe in the Movie "Resistance" - Novel by Anita Shreve
I read the novel "Resistance" by Anita Shreve. It's excellent, like all of her books. I recently watched the movie, and in it, there's a book safe used by a woman, a member of the French Resistance to store items.
She's a radio operator in Occupied Belgium who helped the French during World War II.
Links to How to Make Book Storage Boxes
More instructions and photos for making your own book safe or book storage box!
- Better Book Safe
I wanted a book safe and didn't like the versions that I saw that looked like they were hacked out with a rusty hatchet. So I came up with my own way ...
- DIY secret hollow book
The How To Do Stuff blog has posted a tutorial for making your own hollow book (you know - for hiding booty). All you need is:
- How to Make a Hollow Book - wikiHow
How to Make a Hollow Book. A hollow book can be a nifty way to hide something, whether it's a spare key, a secret note, or even money. Most people wouldn't think to browse your library for private or personal things. It's also a great way...
- Make a Secret Hollow Book
How To Do Stuff -- Make a Secret Hollow Book with photos.
Use Book Spines
Laminate the spines of old books
to make a bookmark.
Book Crafts by Talented Etsy Sellers - These links go with the photos directly above.
- Black Crow Pumpkin Altered Book Mixed Media by GatheredTogether
Take a handmade paper mache pumpkin, a vintage book titled The Mysterious Rider by Zane Grey, an old black crow, and put a handmade wire pumpkin around them and you have a fun, vintage looking decoration perfect to put out for halloween and then keep
- Altered Book Art Mixed Media Two Paper Mache by GatheredTogether
Altered Book with Two Paper Mache Birds sitting in a wire cage. A perfect wedding or anniversary present!! Two little paper mache birds sitting in a tree.
Make Collage with Book Pages and Book Illustrations - Click a small image to enlarge it.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Use Books for Packaging
Shred old book pages
(use books that are falling apart)
to use to stuff gift baskets or for packaging materials.
Make Your Own Books, Papercrafting, Bookbinding
Use book pages for crafts.
Cut out illustrations and punch text page circles
to use in other crafts.
Book Crafts Links - More book craft projects than you can shake a book at
- Make a Book Purse
Take a beloved hardcover off the shelf and put it on your shoulder by transforming it into a smart-looking purse. CLICK through to the Book Bag project (14 of 37).
- A Way with Words
For a house that speaks volumes, make clever and thrifty use of words with these tips from Country Living.
- 9 Cool Things to Do With Old Books -- Written Word
Not sure what to do with the books cluttering your living room? Learn how to make them into a safe, a shelf, or something else awesome at the Written Word.
- Twitter Question: Tips for Crafts Using Old Phone Books? - Style Lush
By Jessica This week on the @stylelushblog twitter feed we received the above question. All these years, I've just been dumping them straight into the recycling bin. Who knew you could make cute things with phone books? These clever people, that's wh
- Reader's Digest Condensed Books Crafts | Just Something I Made
Reader's Digest Condensed Books Crafts -- I've been collecting vintage Reader's Digest Condensed Books for about a year now. If you're not familiar with these books, here's a blurb from Wikipedia:... Some of Cathe's projects include book page hydrang
- sherlonkahkai -- Paper Goodies
Paper goodies including tags made from old book pages and apple art using an old book.
- Book Page Rose Wreath | Pretty Handy Girl
Make this easy book page rose and ceiling medallion wreath. The results are truly romantic and perfectly timed for Valentine's Day.
- Where the Grass is Greener...: Genius Repurposing: Books
Friday, February 17, 2012 Genius Repurposing: Almost as much as I love to repurpose, I love to see what others do to repurpose! Pinterest has fed my obsession. I check every hour day to see what clever people came up with. I own tons of books - as a
- Book Page Pockets | Just Something I Made
Book Page Pockets Monday, February 20, 2012 I've got another project to share using my old Reader's Digest books! This one is for creating pockets from pages within the book for stashing and organizing things like monthly receipts.
- InstantanÃ©s " Ã©phÃ©mÃ¨res" - Une Belle Histoire...
Escapade en Avignon pour une Vente EphÃ©mÃ¨re (In English, this is a blog that features several photos of crafts using book pages. No directions, that I can read any way! but simple enough to figure out with eyeballing the pictures.
- Make The Best of Things: Book Page Clock
When I began my craft studio redo I decided to use recycled book pages to make matching storage boxes and accessories to tie everything together. I've recycled book pages for lots of projects but never to this scale and I love how every inch of it ca
Papercrafts, Book Binder, Laminator - Get your book craft on
Use Book Covers to Make Collage - Click a small image to enlarge it.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Crafts for Your Books - Dress up books with these crafting ideas
- Covering Books - Martha Stewart Crafts
Covering Books article. With back-to-school comes back-to-books. You need to protect those all-important textbooks against the elements and it's also fun to personalize each book
- Waterproof Book Covers - Martha Stewart Crafts
Waterproof Book Covers article. Protect books at the pool or in the bathtub.
- Personalized Bookplate Craft - Martha Stewart Crafts
Personalized Bookplate Craft article.
- Cottage Hill: Vintage Book Planter...
Funny, I've never drilled a hole in a book before. I've tried some pretty wacked out things but, nope, not this. But, when I saw this....
Book Making - and caring for books
- Make a Soft Book
Quiet Book for little ones.
- Holiday Recipe Book
Find out how to make a holiday recipe book to preserve cherished family recipes.
- Eclectic Guest Book - Martha Stewart Good Things
Eclectic Guest Book article. Get birthday themes, baby shower ideas, appetizer recipes, menus, invitations, and party tips.
- Get Rid of Musty Book Odor
How do I rid antique books of mold and must?
Use old book covers, front and back, as the base
for wall hangings and art collages.
This author, Peggy Hazelwood, participates in Amazon, eBay, All Posters, and other affiliate advertising programs. When you click an advertising link on this page and make a purchase, I receive a small percent of the sale. Thank you for reading this far!