Sparkly Cupcake Ornament! Free Crochet Pattern
Let's Make A Sparkly Cupcake That Lasts Forever!
Who can resist an adorable cupcake? This crocheted one will stay pretty for years on your holiday tree or in your kitchen all year round! Make several for gifts! Or, imagine a small tree decorated just in cupcakes done in different colors! How fun is that!
I designed this ornament as a gift to the crochet and cupcake lovers. The pattern is rated Intermediate ability. Enjoy, and happy crocheting!
Get Everything You Need Right Here!
- Small amounts of #10 crochet thread in white
- gold/white sparkle
- Several sequins
- Needle and white sewing thread
- Crochet hook in size 8 or your preferred size
- 3 -4 large cotton balls or small amount polyfil stuffing
- Pattern ©SheilaSchnauzies. Please do not reproduce or post this pattern anywhere, real world or internet. You may of course provide a link to this page instead! Thanks for your help.
- Instructions for Cupcake Base
- With Gold/White sparkle thread, chain 11.
- Row 1
- SC in second chain from hook and in each remaining chain across. Ch 1, turn.
- Rows 2-on
- SC in back loop only of each SC across. Ch 1, turn.
- Repeat Row 2 until piece measures about 4" - 19 rows. At end of row 19, slip stitch to opposite corner on same side as shown in illustration. Do not fasten off. Set aside.
Cupcake Base Side Seam - Slip Stitch the Base ends together as shown; fasten off.
Making and Decorating The "Frosting"
Abbreviation: 5-Double Crochet Popcorn (5DCP)
With Silver or White Sparkle, Ch 7, join with sl st to form ring, adding one large crystal to center of ring.
Work 12 SC in ring. Join with sl st to first SC.
*CH 3, Work 5DCP in base of ch 3 just made. Ch 4, SC in same stitch. Slip stitch in next SC. Repeat from * around, ending with sl st in first stitch.(6 Popcorns)
CH 4, SC in top of next popcorn. CH 3, work 5DCP in top of popcorn. *CH 3, work 5DCP in slip stitch between next two popcorns. CH 3, work 5DCP in top of next popcorn. Repeat from * around, ending with ch 3, slip stitch in top of first popcorn.
*CH 3, work 5DCP-CH 2-5DCP in same popcorn. CH 3, work 5DCP in next popcorn (the one you did in the slip stitch on the previous row). Repeat from * around ending with ch 3, sl st in top of first popcorn. Do not fasten off yet.
Round 5 (Attachment Round)
Complete the directions for this round with the cupcake base top edge held next to the cupcake frosting top edge. You will work through the frosting top edge and catch the top edge of the base in each stitch, which serves to fasten them together. Here we go! Ch 3, work 4TRC in base of ch 3 just made. *CH 4, SC in next stitch between popcorns. Ch 4, work 5 DC in loop over next popcorn. Ch 4, SC in next st between popcorns. Ch 4, work 5 TRC in loop over next popcorn. Repeat from * around. Before you complete the whole round, tuck your stuffing in to the cupcake base. Complete round and fasten off, weave in ends.
The Schnauzer Difficulty Rating - Intermediate
Now for the Fun Part! Decorating Your Cupcake!
Pick out a number of pretty sequins, crystal beads, glass beads, whatever you like and tack them on with a needle and white or invisible thread. Or, you could hot glue them on. Have fun with it! Attach a piece of thread in center top as I did, or just use a metal hanger.
Can You Imagine...
A tabletop tree decorated in all kinds of color combinations of these cupcakes? How cute is that! I may just have to do one now...
For an extra-elaborate gift for someone really special, what about doing a dozen of these and gifting them in a bakery box!