- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
How to Make a Pop Art Tote Bag
Border Collie Pop Art Quilt Square
Custom Designed Pop Art Quilt Squares
Make your own unique pop art tote bag with easy instructions and show off a custom bag that no other person owns. If pop art isn't your bag, on 3DRose.com, click on Quilt Square on the left side of the page. Then once the index page opens for that product, pan down about 3/4's through the designer list until you reach the products by Sandy Mertens. See all different styles from Sandy.
Some of these quilt squares of mine are also available on Amazon when you type in Sandy Mertens quilt squares on the Amazon search page.
Purchase right off on the online custom print on demand shop by clicking on the couple of links shown below. 3DRose accepts credit cards via PayPal, checks or money orders. Allow 2 to 4 days for shipping and handling. 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
Add personalization text right at check out. Note personalized items can not be return.
Enjoy the instructions below.
Homemade Tote Bags Make Great Gifts
Step 1 - Buy Some Unique Quilt Squares
Fun Pop Art Quilt Squares are shown below
Start with 100% Cotton 10 inch Fabric Squares
Sandy Mertens Pop Art Designs Quilt Squares are 100% Cotton 10 inch fabric sheet with 7.5 inch image. Some other suggestions to use this product besides making tote bags: quilts, framed material photo, pillowcase, pillow, tapestry wall hangings, covers for scrapbooks or photo albums, and potholders.
Below are two of the pages located under Sandy Mertens on 3DRose for quilt squares. Click on the images to purchase those of your choice. Or view other quilt squares of Sandy's for a different look.
Sandy Mertens Right Pop Art Quilt Squares - Hawaiian Tree | Guitar | German Shepherd | Border Collie
Where to Find These Quilt Squares
These brightly colored designs will be a big hit on your pop art tote bag with quilt squares showing Hawaiian Tree, Guitar, German Shepherd and Border Collie found on this page listed below.
Or find cartoon animal pop art quilt squares of domestic, zoo and farm animals plus a caterpillar on this page listed under Sandy Mertens on 3DRose. Find about 3/4's down on Quilt Square index page.
Shown are 8 of many more designs.
Pop Art Designs Quilt Squares - Ostrich | Triceratops | Leopard | Pig | Penguin | Hippopotamus | Giraffe | Duck | Cow | Chicken | Caterpillar | Cat | Bear | Dac
Step 2 - Purchase Sewing Material
Embroidery Machine Thread
Step 3 Sewing Accessories and Material - With Opitions
We will be working with Option #1 with the listing of materials below.
Option #2: Instead of using felt for text and heart, embroider your design using embroidery thread.
Option #3: Cotton batting to give it a quilt effect. This would be added to the front part in between the quilt squares and canvas material.
Option #4 (4 to 8) creative pop art quilt squares for the front and back. If eight are used, then the cotton broadcloth would only be used as a shoulder strap. The canvas can be use for this instead for extra strength.
Good Scissors is a must
Material Needed for Option 1 Pop Art Tote Bag
- Fabric Shears
- Straight Pins
- Dress Tape Measure
- Two Pop Art Quilt Squares (each are 10x10 in. squares with the white area being 1 1/4" on all sides)
- Blue Cotton Broadcloth Material (Cut (2) 10x10 in. squares, (1) 17 1/2x17 1/2 in square, (1) 18" or longer x 3" strip for the strap unless cutting this out with the canvas material)
- Canvas Material or any other type of lining material. (Cut one piece 20x40 inches) (1) 18" or longer x 3" strip for the strap unless cutting this out with the broadcloth material)
Colorful Border Collies on a Square
Material for a Dog Pop Art Tote Bag
Or any other design you choose
Today we will be making a dog pop art tote bag with 2 of these decorative quilt squares for a least expensive tote bag, though both types will be shown as the finished product.. The two pop art squares will be shown on the front of the bag with fabric of any style for the back. For a fancier bag purchase 8 quilt squares (4 for the front and 4 for the back).
Buy (1) Border Collie quilt square
German Shepherd Pop Art Quilt Square
Need one German Shepherd Quilt Square
Pop Art Quilt Square is 100% Cotton 10 inch fabric sheet with 7.5 inch image. Satisfaction guaranteed. Order by phone or online.
Buy (1) German Shepherd pop art quilt square
You can also see what is available on Quilt Squares on Amazon Though not as complete as what is listed above.
Step 3 Sewing Ready
Sewing Machine and Acessories - Great Buy For Those Who Need a Sewing Machine. 0f course there is hand sewing
Buy Here on Amazon
Sewing Machine Bobbins
Sewing Machine Needles
Cutting Board to Cut Out Material
Other than the quilt squares
Sewing Cutting Board
Canvas for Back of Tote Bag
As another option
Canvas Natural Fabric
Step 4 - Instructions
Let the Sewing Begin! - Option 1
Creative Pop Art Bag - Option 4
Digitally created tote bags
The real thing will look 100 times more groovy!
- Cut out the text and heart from the felt squares. Then sew these on to the blue fabric as shown above in Option 1.
- Sew the (4) 10x10 squares together allowing a 1 1/4" seam (Unless You would like a white outline). This will make it a one 17 1/2"x17 1/2" front square.
- Pin the right sides of the front piece to the back. Stitch a 1 1/4" seam on three sides. Leave the top open. Turn the bag right side out.
- Take the lining material with the right side together and sew it on all sides with 1 1/4" seam leaving the top open. Turn the lining right side out. Place it inside the bag. Turn under the top edges and hand stitch the lining in place.
- Take the strip of material that was cut out for the strap. Put the right sides together and sew a 1/2" seam down the long way. Turn it right side out. Hand stitch the ends closed and secure the ends inside the top edge of the bag.
What do you think of the pop art tote bag? - Are you a crafter?
Would you like to make a pop art tote bag?
Quilted Tote Bags on Amazon - For the Non-Crafter
Ready Made Bags of All Types that you can Customize
Do you have a business or online store?
I can write a review on your business. Please contact me for more information. email@example.com
© 2011 Sandy Mertens