- Arts and Design»
- Crafts & Handiwork
Easy Crochet Sunglass Case, Free Crochet Pattern!
Protect Those Expensive Shades With This Easy Crochet Sunglasses Case!
Isn't it annoying to pull your sunglasses out of your handbag, pop them on and see that something in your purse has scratched them?
Crochet up this easy sunglasses case in a short time, and you'll have something nice and soft to protect your glasses while they hang out in your bag. You might even want to make a few extra to keep in your glove compartment too. It seems like I'm always needing a case and never having one where I need it! And that's how they always end up in that purse getting banged around.
This is a pattern that uses only single crochet stitch. It's easy enough for a confident beginner and fun enough for anyone to make. It has only one seam to slip stitch, no sewing required. The flap simply tucks inside the case to close it. Or, if you prefer, you can crochet a simple button loop with chain stitch on the point of the flap and sew a purchased button on the case as a closure.
Are you crocheting a purse this summer? Why not make a matching sunglass case to go with! Or use up a bit of that scrap yarn stash of yours!
If you've always wanted to learn to crochet, you'll find how-to instructions in the YouTube tutorials I've provided below for either right or left handed crocheters. The only other thing you'll need is a crochet hook and some yarn, and you're good to go!
The Schnauzer Difficulty Rating! 2 - Easy
What You Will Need
Very small amount of worsted weight yarn
Crochet hook size H or your preferred
Purchased button (optional)
I own and love every size of this crochet hook. It allows me to keep crocheting despite severe arthritis in my hands.
A Word About Yarn & Thread Selection...
You may use different yarns such as scrap yarns or threads with good results! Just make sure to keep them similar in weight and thickness so as not to throw off the pattern.
Let's Crochet The Magic!
Please Note: This case will curl as you make it. That is intended. If you've made my Foldover Angel Wing Potholder, these directions will seem very familiar as the sunglass case starts out the same way!
Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring.
Ch 1, work 9 SC in ring. Join with sl st to first SC.
Ch 22, work 1 SC in 2nd ch from hook and in each chain (21 SC). Slip stitch into next SC on round 1. CH 1, turn.
Row 2-A /
Work 1 SC in each SC. Leave last SC unworked. Ch 1, turn.
Row 2-B /
SC in back loop only of each SC. Slip stitch into next SC on round 1. Ch 1, turn.
Repeat Rows 2-A and 2-B until you only have one SC left of the 9 SC's in Round 1. Leave the last SC on Round 1 unworked, ending with the slip stitch in the next SC. Fasten off.
Fold case in half. Attach yarn to top end of case and slip stitch seam as shown in photo. Fasten off, weave in end.
Optional Contrast Edging (Pictured Below)
Attach desired color and work a single crochet border around all open edges. On the fold side, I single crocheted through the edge of the fold which gives the case a bit more structure. On each corner, I did a SC, ch 1, SC.
Contrast Edging (I Used Just A Slightly Tonal Contrast)
What Do You Think Of This Pattern? - Come On, You Can Tell Me!
What Are Your Thoughts On This Pattern?
Learn Crochet On YouTube - Right Or Left Handed!
I've done a full review of my beloved Yarn Drum at the right in my raspberry color. This one is in a pretty Periwinkle Blue, even tho the picture is showing pink.
A Note From Your Designer...
Hi, I'm SheilaSchnauzies, also published as SheilaSparkles, and my life's passion is designing in Crochet! I also love to share gifts with friends, and this pattern is my gift to you! I give away about 95% of my pattern designs free. The other 5% are sold on my pattern store at Craftsy.com to benefit the vet expenses of my Miniature Schnauzer Rescue, Sheila's Schnauzies.
Just one little favor, please... I would appreciate it if you do not post this pattern anywhere on the Internet or in the 'real world.' Instead, you are most welcome to provide a link to this webpage.
I use a system I call the "Official Schnauzer Difficulty Rating" just for fun, to rate the difficulty of my patterns. If it's a 3/5 or more, I'll explain why I consider it more difficult. A few of my designs use techniques that are a bit unconventional! If it's one of those patterns, I'll warn you ahead of time. I do a lot of custom-fit patterns, for example. They are made to fit YOU, not a measurement from a chart. They're surprisingly easy to do and actually end up fitting. That's a good thing, yes?
So glad you found my patterns! I hope you really enjoy making whatever it is you're making! Crochet hugs, -Sheila
Honored To Be An Associate Professional Member of Crochet Guild of America!
"Crochet thread is the ink with which I will sign my life." –SheilaSchnauzies