- Arts and Design
Sharpie - The Top Permanent Marker
From a humble marker.........
The year was 1964 -- The first pen-style permanent marker was created and called the Sharpie Fine Point black marker. -- The Sanford Manufacturing Company was founded in 1857 and produced ink and glue until it entered the emerging marker business with the Sharpie. The rest is history!
The Evolution of the Sharpie
- 1964 Sharpie was created (black only)
- 1979 Extra Fine Point Sharpie was introduced in four different colors.
- 1989 The Sharpie Ultra Fine Point came on the market and became the first marker to truly write like a pen.
- 1991-1997 Extremely popular Sharpies were used for an increasing number of activities - especially in the $5 billion memorabilia industry as autographs using a Sharpie could be done on all kinds of sports items from baseballs to jerseys.
- 1998 - present day Sharpie came out with a variety of new colors and by the end of 2002, over 200 million Sharpie markers have been produced.
Step Out In Style - Sharpie Designs
Dye-t-shirts-with-Sharpies - Fun!
Sharpie Tattoos - Draw Your Own!
What an awesome way to decide if you really want to have this done. (without the pain)