- Motorcycles, Sports Bikes & Riding
Yamaha Zuma Battery | BikeMaster Trugel Battery MG5L-BS
Yamaha Zuma Battery Replacement YW50
For most motorcycle or scooter riders finding a reliable long lasting battery can be a challenge. For my 2005 Yamaha Zuma the stock battery lasted about a year and I just kick started it for the next several years.
I finally have replaced the battery with a gel based BikeMaster Trugel MG5L-BS battery and thus far it's been a great battery. See the photos at right for some un-boxing images as well as comparisons to the old battery and installation in the Zuma.
Below is a run down (albeit some from the manufacturer) of the supposed benefits of using a gel electrolyte instead of a liquid. I can report that the battery came fully charged and fits perfectly for my application, I'll report back on the longevity but the 2 year warranty is a nice reassurance. I spent the few extra dollars in order to get the better cold weather performance and the durability (see the video at bottom ... insane!).
BikeMaster Gel Battery Benefits
- Has a life span that can be up to twice that of a wet battery
- Resists vibration and impacts which damage regular wet batteries
- Works better at lower and higher temperatures than a wet battery
- Won't leak, even if the case cracks (see video below)
- Can be installed at any angle
- Always maintains contact with all of the plates, giving more cranking power and longer life
- Will not sulfate like a wet battery
- 2-year manufacturer's warranty
BikeMaster Trugel Durability Demo
Need a Gel Battery For a Car?
You can get the same benefits of a gel electrolyte battery in your car too. They're more expensive but might help avoid being stuck on the side of the road...