Car Part Costs for your 1991-94 Mercury Capri
When you take your car into a car repair garage, the rate today is usually between $80-120.00 hr. The mechanic working for the garage, doing the work, probably makes $15-30 an hr. Dealerships are no different. Many parts used in the repair of your 1991-94 Mercury Capri have a surcharge of up to 30% on them. So, a part costing $20 at Autozone, may cost $26 at the dealer or garage.
Parts for the 1991-94 Mercury Capri and XR2 sport car are still available easily if the part is related to the engine and chassis\suspension. That is because they use a Mazda engine and suspension. Body parts and interior parts are a whole different issue. For these, you need to find a parted out Capri or one in a junk yard.
According to the Capri manual for repairs between 91-94, the following items could be installed for the stated price, labor and parts included. Having done some of the repairs at a shop, the prices are not that different than in 1994.
- Rear Taillight Assy- $160
- Side Marker Lamp - $41
- Rear Bumper Cover $307
- Fuel Tank $180
- Luggage lid hydraulic lift $26
- Convertible top $1174 ( this is a mystery. One can buy a new top for $300 and installation will run up to $400 in 2011). It takes 3.5 hrs to install.
- Hard top $840 (used tops can be bought for $500 or less)
- Handle Pull for interior panel $30
- Door panel map cover $96 (used ones can be found for $25)
- Outside mirror $141
- Center console $60
- Ashtray $30
- Glass windshield $805 and 3.5 hrs in time (again, one can buy a new windshield for far less)
- EEC module for ignition sys $1038
- Distributor cap $30
- Alternator $534
- Air cleaner element $21
- Turbocharger $1326 and 3 hrs installation
- Turbo cooler $681
- Catalytic Converter $341
- Seat $110
- Inside door panel $400
- Radiator $300 ( one can buy a new OEM for $130)
- A set of 5-spoke wheels $235
- Brake Rotor $65
- Brake caliper $210 (today, new caliper run $130)
- Fuel pump $320
- Shock absorber $110 and 1.5 hr to install
- New hood $441