Chevrolet Equinox a/c does not work
Chevrolet Equinox a/c compressor does not work
"The A/C compressor on my Chevy Equinox is not working" Was the greeting I received when I arrived at my automotive repair shop this morning. I love a challenge, so I was eager to get the Equinox into the shop and up on a rack. A/C and A/C compressor problems can be some of the hardest automotive problems to diagnose. I rank them right up there with electrical problems, and all automotive techs know how hard running down a crimped or broken wire can be. Getting back to the Chevy Equinox A/C issue, this was the original customer complaint:
VEHICLE: 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT 3.4L, V6, MFI, OHV, VIN F, Eng Desg -
Customer Concern: The A/C compressor shuts off and the A/C light goes out when the blower motor is set to speed 3 or 4. It works normally in 1 and 2. The blower motor works normally on all speeds.
Ahhh, a beginning. We are going to start with some pretty basic tests to see if we can find an obvious problem with any electrical issues.
1. Start the engine.
2. Set the blower speed to 3.
3. Backprobe the Yellow wire in terminal 13, in the 24 terminal connector at the control head, and ground it. If the A/C light does not come on, and there are no loose terminals, the Heat Vent Air Conditioning (HVAC) control head is defective.
4. If the A/C light did come on, disconnect the blower motor resistor card.
5. Test the resistance between terminals B and D. There should be 4 ohms or less.
6. If not, the blower motor resistor is defective.
In this case, our Ohms were off the charts. And this is what we determined to be a potential cause.
Potential Causes: Blower Motor Resistor
Heater Ventilation Air Conditioner (HVAC) Control Head
After a few further tests on the Chevy Equinox a/c control head we determined that it was indeed the blower motor resistor.
Confirmed Fix: Replaced Blower Motor Resistor
I have decided that I would like to share some of our confirmed fixes, and if anyone is interested, we would like to have yours also. for more great automotive tips and advice, please visit our website and forums to post your confirmed fixes. I hope this fix for the Chevrolet Equinox a/c problem was helpful.