DUI- The Law Is Right- You Can't Afford It!
Before and After I was hit by a driver who was DUI
- MADD - Mothers Against Drunk Driving
The mission of Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) is to stop drunk driving, support the victims of this violent crime and prevent underage drinking.
- Poem against drunk driving
Poem against drunk driving known as 'Death of an Innocent' or 'Mom'.
- Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook
The Police Notebook - Law Enforcement Internet site to promote safety and crime prevention information.
If you have ever been involved in an accident, (or know someone who has been) that was caused by a driver who was DUI (Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol), then you know the importance of this article. I have lost friends, students, and family members because someone made a wrong decision that would cost more than money and a clean record......innocent lives.....
If you have ever worked in a restaurant/bar, like I have, you know how hard it is to keep track of every single drink that a person consumes- people do have to be responsible for their own actions as well. In some cases, patrons are even turned away before they even have a drink because they are not cognizant and argumentative. But what happens when you know someone should not get on the road but they are persistent?
Obviously, it is hard to reason with someone when they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, so preventing that from ever happening can be the most powerful and meaningful tool you can learn.
I remember distinctly hearing the sirens, watching the re-enactment at school, seeing the ramifications of what could happen if one would make the choice to drive while intoxicated; I went to a friends' funeral in high school- an innocent life that was cut short all because someone had too much to drink and decided to drive.Those images are implanted in my brain, and I think of that EVERY time I drive.
So, how much is too much? Well, if you have to ask yourself that question, then you shouldn't drive. If you are going to partake in adult beverages, then you owe it to yourself and everyone else on the road to have a DD (Designated Driver). If you live in a more rural area, where taxis are not available, make sure you have someone who can pick you up, or else don't leave your home!
Here are some tips to preventing people from driving while intoxicated:
- Educate the youth- While it may be something difficult to hear and talk about, it is a lot easier to know the affects of ones' actions before it is too late. Talk to your children and make sure they know that they are to NEVER ride with a friend, family member, or even parent that has been drinking!
- Take someone's keys! While someone may argue with you, if you are planning an event at your house, remember you are responsible too! Make sure you take keys before they start drinking. If they don't want to give up their keys, then they can't drink- simple as that.
- Don't ever yet someone under the age of twenty-one drink. No matter what!
- Take turns being DD's for each other. Plan a Girls' Night Out of Guys' Night Out and make sure the person gets a ride home! Check with local restaurants/ clubs- a lot of times, they will give discounts to the Designated Driver. Remember, you can have fun too even without drinking- you will feel great in the morning and you might just have great stories to tell!
- Don't ever drink and drive with others in the car! If you want to celebrate, leave the kids at home with a babysitter! Even if you are planning to have one drink, don't put innocent children in danger!