E Type Jaguar Gearbox-Automatic
Jaguar E type owners know that the automatic Jaguar gearbox can be at times complicated. These automatic transmission units were supplied (before the introduction of series 3) as an option for 4.2 liter 2 + 2 models. First get the correct number before anything else if you are planning some maintenance or dismantling it for proper refitting and function.
The gearbox number is stamped on an oval plate that is bolted on the side at the left hand back place of the gearbox. This transmission unit incorporates a hydraulic torque converter in place of the flywheel and clutch assembly. The converter is attached to a hydraulically operated planetary gearbox providing three forward speeds plus reverse. The automatic jaguar gearbox transmission gearshift stick is mounted centrally on the console.
- The gearshift unit is marked from front to rear as P, R, N, D2, D1, L, and the gearshift stick can be moved freely between the N and the D2 positions but to move it to the other positions it must be pushed to the right against a pressurized spring and moved through the unit.
Authentic Jaguar E Type / XKE Restoration Guide
- With D2 selected from N (neutral) the car will start from idle in second gear and it will operate automatically between second and third gears, but the first gear is not accessible with this selection.
- With D1 selected the car starts from idle in first gear and will operate automatically throughout all three forward gears.
- Downshifts on the jaguar gearbox in either D1 or D2 can be obtained by quickly and fully pressing the accelerator.
- The L gear provides over-riding control with either first or second gear with engine braking in either ratio.
Jaguar E Type (Jaguar XKE)
It is known as the Jaguar E Type in Europe and commonly referred to as the Jaguar XKE in North America. Get more detailed information on this classic car at Jaguar XKE:
- When starting from idle in the L gear, the transmission will start in first gear and will remain in that gear regardless of road speed or throttle position.
- When P (park) is selected, the gearbox is automatically locked by means of a levering pin which engages with external teeth created in the ring gear assembly.
- The Park position can be used whenever the car is parked with or without the engine running.
- In order to guarantee that the engine cannot be started when one of the gear positions is selected, a starter cut-off switch is provided and this switch, and only when correctly set, ensures that the starter will operate only when the gearshift stick is in either the N or P position.