- Car Care & Maintenance
E Type Jaguar Gearbox Manual
Jaguar E type owners and enthusiasts know that the manual Jaguar gearbox can be at times tricky. Knowing what gearbox was fitted to your Jaguar E Type is important for ordering parts.
First of all get the right number with the correct prefix and suffix before anything else. The gearbox number is stamped on the side at the left hand back spot of the gearbox case and also on the top cover of the gearbox.Manual gearboxes are fitted to both the 3.8 liter and the 4.2 liter E Type models and are of the four speed type with reverse. On 3.8 liter models, Jaguar gearbox numbers come with a prefix EB stamped before the number and a suffix JS stamped after the number.
- The Jaguar gearbox with prefix EB and suffix JS have got synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear, the first and reverse gears of this box have spur teeth which slide into a mesh.
- The later on Jaguar gearbox with prefix EJ 001 and following numbers have recoil ring synchromesh on all gears, with the exception of reverse.
- The retainers for the gears are built-in the synch assemblies, the three synch balls engaging with grooves in the operating sleeve.
- A spring loaded ball forming the retainer for the reverse gear engages on a groove in the selector rod.
- The gears itself on this gearbox are pressure fed by a pump which is driven from the rear of the main shaft.
- The EJ 001 gearbox is outdated at this phase for the Open Two Seater (OTS) and Fixed Head Coupe (FHC).
- These models were fitted with gearboxes that came with identification numbers KE 101 and following numbers.
- The 2+2 models have boxes with identification number KJS 101 and following numbers.
- The helix angle of the gear teeth of these later boxes have been modified for silence and ease and the gear lock has been modified to prevent possible jumping-out of gear.
- As in regards to these differences as described above, the gearboxes are identical with the EJ and have the same maintenance, dismantling and assembling procedures.
Jaguar E Type (Jaguar XKE)
It is known as the Jaguar E Type in Europe and commonly referred to as the Jaguar XKE in North America. Get more detailed information on the Jaguar XKE:
- Jaguar E Type
Comprehensive information on the Jaguar E Type