How to Drive Safely on a Highway
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
I had to stop driving my car for a while... the tires got dizzy.
It's like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.
E. L. Doctorow
The essence of driving
Driving is no more modern science and has become a necessity with life always on the go and things getting commercialized. Many distances need to be covered in a span of 24 hours.
Driving on the highway is a quick way to reach your designation. However, many get overwhelmed by the speed limit and avoid driving on it. They prefer to take the inner roads to reach their station.
Driving safe and quickly to your destination is crucial since it will help you achieve your goal and also keep your mental and physical body intact.
It will become easy to drive on the freeway and reach your desired place by following a few guidelines.
There are a few safety tips for drivers.
- Prior to driving; check the route to be taken for your destination and plan your start time. Always check the route you plan to take either via mapquest.comor yahoo maps and get a rough estimate of the time taken to travel to your choice of station.
- Position your GPS correctly. Place it where you can see clearly and it does not distract you while driving. Check for any exit closures and get an alternate route if needed.
- Keep thy self-hydrated. Driving needs attention and focus since there are many cars on the road. Keeping a bottle of water near you or in the passenger compartment will help you stay away from fatigue.
- Keep your cell phone away. Texting and driving are turning out to be extremely dangerous. If you have to talk to someone while driving, use a blue tooth or hands free device to talk. Keep both your hands on the steering wheel and your eyes fixated on the roads.
- Use defensive driving techniques while driving. Adapt to the surroundings of the road while learning to adapt to your vehicle’s brakes distance. Learn to share the road with other drivers and avoid road rage by allowing a vehicle to pass if needed while keeping the necessary distance from the other cars. Keep your calm self behind the wheels. This will allow you to reach your destination in one piece.
- Follow the speed limit on various highways. They tend to vary.
- Change lanes with caution. Use an indicator light when changing lanes. This will avoid car crashes or usage of abrupt brakes.
Winter Driving with a slippery road or snow can be tricky. Some safety tips with regards to safe driving are:
- Pack a winter travel kit. This kit should consist of a blanket, ice scraper, portable weather radio, a torch, cell phone and a good book, food, and water.
- Be prepared to slow down when facing a snowy condition. Patience always pays up in the end.
- Keep a smooth operation of your car when in a slippery situation, and know how to recover from skids. Drivers should be aware of how to maneuver their car in such conditions. Read more on Skid Recovery.
- Keep the tires properly inflated. Cold weather tends to reduce tire pressure thus adjustments should be made accordingly. The driver should have the knowledge of applying Snow chains when the surroundings need it.
- Take frequent exits from your driving. Stretching and making frequent rest stops are recommended when driving during winter travel since; alertness plays a pivotal role in safe driving.
- If the driver gets stuck while driving. Do not panic, but instead turn your wheels from side to side a few times to push snow out of the way. Make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of any obstruction, which includes snow and ice so that the risk of carbon monoxide does not build up inside the vehicle. Call for help and stay in the car.
Which kind of driving is a challenge for you?
Following the driving guidelines helps any driver who is either driving to work or for pleasure prepare thy self and have the knowledge to stay safe and reach one's destination.
Happy and Safe Driving!