When driving, how will you respond when you see someone trying to get into your lane?
When do you expect other drivers to do their part not just pull up beside you matching your speed and expect you to make room for them? Typically it is the responsibility of the driver to change lanes and find away to do it safely without making other drivers to adjust to them. There are various types of drivers and they have their own way of driving.
Driving requires concentration, patience and passion. When you drive on the road you can see three types of driver. These three types of drivers are: generous, neutral and strict. Generous drivers are nice people. They generally allow you in and they will not tell you in bad word. Neutral drivers are moody people. They will let you in if you are not trying to cheat them. The strict drivers do not let other drivers in if they are not signalling. The signalling to them is right one not the cheat merge signalling. They get angry when you sped and get into their lane.
The rules of responding when you see other drivers trying to get into your lane:
- You can wait for other drivers to find the lane without you having to adjust speed. This is how merging in road work in theory and specially in the highway.
The rules followed by the generous driver when they see other drivers trying to get into their lane:
- Some of the generous drivers slow down a bit and let other drivers in. It is not that hard to just be nice.
- If it is reasonable for the generous driver to let other drivers in and doing that would not disrupt the flow of traffic, the generous drivers generally let them in
- The generous driver try letting other drivers in if safety is not a factor.
- Sometimes with poor luck people, when they let other drivers in front of their car, the other drivers do not speed up according to the traffic.
- The generous driver let other drivers go in front of their car if the other drivers are driving fast enough and it would not impede the generous driver's progress.
The rules followed by the neutral driver when they see other drivers trying to get into their lane:
- The neutral driver generally use the slow method. The neutral drivers will speed up giving the other drivers extra distance behind themselves. The neutral driver just hope that the car driver behind him or her is feeling generous.
- If he or she can not let other drivers into the lane, they will slow down or speed up depending on their position in the ramp and whether or not there are cars behind them or in front of them.
- The neutral drivers do not allow big vehicle because they can not see around and they will not let them in front of you.
- If there is a traffic jam, you can let some driver squeezed in front of you. If nobody is behind you, there is no reason to let other drivers in font of you as you are already out of their way.
The rules followed by the strict driver when they see other drivers trying to get into their lane::
- if the strict driver see other drivers doing "cheat merge" thing where they jump into a turn only lane and drive ahead just show they can cut out in front of bunch of cars then the strict drivers do not let them in.
- Nothing annoys the strict driver more than someone speeding to cut right in front of you and then slamming on their breaks right in front of you.
- The strict drivers hate when other drivers are in a turn only lane at an intersection and someone is in the straight only lane trying to turn into your lane and you are the second one trying to turn. The strict drivers do not let them in their lane as it is expected that they should have been in the lane in the first place.
- If the other drivers are trying to get in because they cheated and spread around merging traffic near construction then according to the strict drivers they better be waiting to get into the lane.
You should allow signalling drivers in. In a heavy traffic situation, like leaving a stadium or if a lane is closed, each driver should let one driver in, not let ten drivers in like some in front of you have done.
There are two types of drivers people do not allow in their lanes. The drivers who see the sign from the way back saying "right lane closed ahead (or left lane closed ahead whichever) and zooms up at maximum speed in the lane that is going to be closed until the other driver reach the point where the road is closed then they put their signal on to let them in. Or even worse, someone who will zip around traffic on a part of the road you are not supposed to drive on (like the breakdown lane of the highway, right over the rumble strips) and then signal to merge in front of you.
Driving courtesy is a myth in some places. Everyone is out for themselves and God help you that you do not get into a wreck with someone not paying attention to the road or is a very bad driver, an old person, or a con artist out to try and make big bucks through insurance frauds.
Merging into the lane and then slamming on the brakes because "they thought there are something on the road" happen around Christmas time in poverty stricken areas when people are wanting extra money for presents.
The types of drivers you will find depends on the places and the traffic. If you are driving in a big city and everyone are in hurry you will find strict drivers more as they have to reach their respective place on time. In small cities you will find a lot of neutral drivers. They let them in depending on the time they have to go. If the traffic is nice, they let them in. The generous drivers are mostly from countryside where there is not much traffic and you are not in hurry to reach the places. When you drive next time, observe it by yourself.