Will auto market move or shift its focus?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

crude price has gone down..down... and down . Will it change the destiny of auto market? Will people buy more cars in this recession?
    Will people shift to bigger cars again?

Jyoti Kothari

2. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I think there is this idea out there that all we need to do is build smaller more fuel efficient cars and that will save the U.S. auto industry, but even Toyota and Honda are losing money now. The only car companies that are making money in the U.S. are Rolls Royce, Jaguar--all the extreme luxury brands. The problem I think is that our entire economy has become so corrupt and stripped of real value that no one has money to buy cars anymore or can get financing to borrow the money. Millions are losing their jobs, and the rest have seen wages erode severely over the past decade. Meanwhile, the very rich Americans, the top 1/2 of 1%, have gotten 400 times richer over the same period.

Even if U.S. auto makers could get a car built and to market TOMORROW that ran on air--no fuel costs at all--what would it matter if no one here can buy them now? No job to go to. No money in the banks. The banks are failing anyway...

We need to change everything about the way our society works, not just build different cars. I don't even President Obama. He has a real mess on his hands. It won't get fixed overnight. smile

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more! Not only do automakers have to make smaller ,efficient cars,but should probably cut the number of models as well.
      I can't understand why it took so long to inform Congress of their financial condition? Were they waiting for Bush to leave? I'm suspicious of all these corporations getting bailed out just before Bush leaves office.sad
      Did they decide to get while the getting good ,when AIG,and the rest of the Financials got their handouts?

3. Scott Mandrake profile image60
    Scott Mandrakeposted 15 years ago

If left to their own, automakers would have to adapt to the times and become more competitive by dipping into their own pockets.  However, due to the support given by governments such as ours, the auto industry can and will continue to operate in a deplorably inefficient manner. 
    Millions upon billions of subsidies and grants have been made available to these automakers, and as long as this "free money" is available they will have little incentive to change their policies.

4. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years ago

Pgrundy and Scott Mandrake,
    I do agree with both of you. I am continuously writing about economic crisis for many months. Even before the crisis started. People were mockering to me at that time. No one listened. I am feeling that people are not ready to change even today. They have a hope that President Obama will change everything like an Angel. However, that is not the case.

Thanks for your opinions.

Jyoti Kothari

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Some were not mocking you - the UK saw an unsustainable rise in house prices, and it was only  a matter of time before everything went horribly wrong. People chose not to listen, swayed by greed and the chance to make a quick profit.

The British auto industry went through similar turmoil over twenty years ago. The government threw more money at the companies, but they ultimately failed. Not looking good for the US, and I do feel a lot of sympathy for the workers, the victims of incompetence higher up the scale. sad

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think most people don't 'get it' as far as how deep the crisis is and how big of a change is necessary, but I think lots of ordinary people saw it coming. The bankers and CEOs had no interest in seeing it coming--they were just making money while they could, as much as they could, and lots of folks cheered them on. But working people saw a darker side--my daughters and I were talking about how bad things were getting two years ago, long before the big subprime crash in November of 2007.

We are going to see a greatly reduced standard of living here in the U.S. and probably violence in the next several years. The best strategy right now for ordinary people is to learn to be as self-sufficient as possible and learn to help each other through what lies ahead. Automobiles are not the problem. Consumer culture is the problem. It's all over now--these bailouts (especially in the financial industry) are just a last ditch attempt to loot the Treasury coffers before that isn't even possible and the whole nation is bankrupt.

We need a new way to live, not better things to buy. Thanks Jyoti Kothari for raising the issue.

Lita, housing prices in big cities got truly insane. There are entire communities in CA with new 6 bedroom 3 car garage homes that are unfinished or foreclosed and vacant.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have raised similar issues in more than 20 hubs. I  never had been in US, however studied the economy in context of human behavior. Consumer culture and ignorance are the main reason. Americans are blaming each other but not looking into their own faults, That is the greatest tragedy.

As you have the similer view I urge you read my hubs and suggest me what do you feel from your point of view.
        I kope we together can do something to open the eyes of the world. This may be a very small, however, good attempt to serve the humanity in distress.

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

5. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Hi, Sufi...
    Just want to add that most people with common sense around the world saw this problem with the economy.  I.E., when I moved out here to AZ, I was astounded at the disconnect between the actual value of houses, and the prices they were commanding (and getting). Obscene.

Obama is not a Christ figure, and most of us know that, but he does represent a change towards a more rational government here in the U.S. and I have every confidence in him and the team he has assembled to make a difference.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lita

It was silly season - in the UK, the traditional mortgage used to be 3 or 3.5x annual income, and that worked well. Before moving out here, we thought about buying in the UK, and they were offering 6x the combined annual income. That is insanity, so we walked away. Many people took mortgages at that rate, and are now paying the price.

I have just been on the phone to one of my friends in the US, an English lady who has lived in Chicago for many years. She managed to wangle a ticket to Obama's election night thing, and was impressed with his demeanour and charisma. The guy has quite possibly the most difficult job on Earth, and he has been left with one hell of a mess.

At the very least, I hope that International Relations will improve. America is not liked or trusted by the rest of the world; maybe a change will heal some wounds. smile

As long as the lunatic fringe does not derail things sad

6. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Pam-
    Yes, the California 'refugees' brought much of their speculation with them to the AZ dessert, so there are similar boarded up houses all over Phoenix.  Here in the Verde Valley, AZ, there is a significant slow down in building.  My boyfriend, as an architect, is feeling it--resorting to landscaping jobs and remodels for work.

Good thing both of us grew up poor, know who we are and are resourceful! 

I had a friend once who said that he believed growing up working class gave him an edge others didn't have--I actually believe it to be true.  smile

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree--I used to manage the perennial section in a big garden center, and had to babysit the extremely wealthy wives who came in to day dream. They were so helpless--I liked some of them, but most of them were worse than small children as far as self-reliance and confidence. A sense of entitlement isn't the same thing as knowing how to take care of yourself! LOL!

Seriously, it isn't all wonderful, being rich. Every time I see Cindy McCain on TV or hear her speak I'm glad I came from nothing. The fall is lots shorter from there. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)