jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

why do i keep blowing my cigar lighter fuse?

1. profile image47
    recantrellposted 7 years ago

why do i keep blowing my cigar lighter fuse?

2. John B Badd profile image59
    John B Baddposted 7 years ago

Their may be a short in the wiring.  The lighter itself may be broken in which case it can draw too much power and blow the fuse.  You should have a mechanic check it out or stop using it because this could be a fire hazard.

3. DeboHubpages profile image56
    DeboHubpagesposted 7 years ago

i agree with John B Badd,
    You may have a wire that has become separated and touching the frame of the car and the only way you can tell is with a tool that most mechanics have called a Intermittent short Indicator and short circuit finder. you can find it @ http://www.toolsource.com/intermittent- … 8432.html.
    They are quite Expensive so you may want to go to an Auto Shop.

4. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 7 years ago

What are you using in the socket? The cigar lighter, cell phone charger or something else? Phone chargers are notorious for blowing fuses, if it's the cigar lighter, check it with a known good one, same with the phone charger. If all else fails, look inside the socket for loose metal parts shorting the socket. If the fuse only blows when plugging something in the socket I would have to say, the problem exist in the accessory. Let me know.

5. profile image47
    recantrellposted 7 years ago

thanks for the help everyone, i ended up changing the whole plug and that took care of it... thanks  again, very helpful