jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How easy is it to change your own oil?

1. katherinethorell profile image77
    katherinethorellposted 6 years ago

How easy is it to change your own oil?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5782239_f260.jpg

2. hardlymoving profile image98
    hardlymovingposted 6 years ago

It's a loaded question.  Depends on the make and model vehicle.  On some cars, the manufacturer force you to remove the lower dust shield which may be time consuming ... other makes, like VW force you to replace the filter element in an oil canister. 

For me it's extremely easy ... for first timers it may be considered dirty and messy.  You'll need a jack stand (or a drive up stand to get clearance under the car), a plastic oil 5 quart oil pan to hold your dirty oil, a 2 gallon container to hold the dirty oil, an oil filter wrench, a long box wrench to torque off the oil pan bolt, paper towels and throw away rubber gloves. 

Go to any retail auto establishment to help you get set up with the basic tools and equipment.

3. eddiecarrara profile image94
    eddiecarraraposted 6 years ago

Hardlymoving is right on the money with this question, I have worked on cars for 25 years and I would not change my oil in the driveway, it cost much less at the dealer with no mess, just don't buy into all their up sells smile Hey, that's a Honda valve cover in the picture...lol

4. imkd profile image59
    imkdposted 6 years ago

it seems easy but i don't think that it is too much easy!

5. RASO profile image72
    RASOposted 6 years ago

It is not so hard to do it, all you need is a place and a mechanic tools for it.

Cheers.

working