jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What do you consider in deciding whether your teen should be allowed to drive?

1. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 6 years ago

What do you consider in deciding whether your teen should be allowed to drive?

A driver's license is not enough.  What factors do parents and guardians consider in making a decision to allow a teen to drive?

2. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

With our kids we took a hard look at how mature and responsible they were in other ways.  Were they responsible with their schoolwork, their chores around the house, in their relationships with their peers, etc?  We let our kids know early that driving is a privilege not a right and that they would be allowed to drive when they proved they were mature enough to drive. 

Fortunately, our kids have proven to be pretty mature and there were no issues with them getting their licenses.  How, that happened I don't know.  They must be adopted!

3. ktrapp profile image97
    ktrappposted 6 years ago

Car insurance for teen drivers cost more since accidents by teenage drivers are the number one cause of death among teens. Tips to help decide if your teenager is ready to drive are given. read more

4. BRIAN SLATER profile image87
    BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago

The main thing I considered when making this decision was do I have faith in my daughter. By this I mean do I give her the responsibility to drive on our roads. Can she handle the car, has she undertaken driving lessons and passed her driving test. If she has then she is as much capable to drive as I am. She will lack experience but didn't we all. And you don't become a good driver by reading books, you have to practice.
    If a child doesn't show respect to you or to other drivers and doesn't want to learn to drive correctly through approved driving classes then maybe they aren't quite grown up enough just yet. As a parent you know your child and it can be difficult to assess when the time is right. Go by your gut instinct, not just about whether they can drive or not, but are they turning into a young adult in other areas of their life, are they acting responsible at school/college? are they dating? and still seeking out your advice? Sometimes you have to give them a chance to shine and sometimes they still can surprise you. Good luck.

5. stephhicks68 profile image85
    stephhicks68posted 6 years ago

Excellent!  Both really great answers!  smile