Are cars with push-button start/ignition easier to steal?

1. Justin Muir profile image93
    Justin Muirposted 5 years ago

Are cars with push-button start/ignition easier to steal?

I was recently considering leasing a Mitsubishi Lancer with push-button start.  Haven't made a decision yet (or visited the dealer) but it seems to me that the push-button start makes these vehicles easier to steal.  Any thoughts?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6814987_f260.jpg

2. kinghostile profile image45
    kinghostileposted 5 years ago

The car still requires a key, I'm not personally familiar with this car, but most have the keys electronically coded to the individual vehicle. But regardless of any features a good car thief can still take it, you may avoid local kids taking the car but if a true auto thief wants it they will have it, period.
    In my opinion the car would be no easier or more difficult to steal than any other.

3. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

I own a push button vehicle. You need the remote switch that you carry in  your pocket or purse  in order to unlock the doors or start the car. Can some clever crook, come up with an universal device that will read the code. Probably, but then you are no worse off than someone popping the lock and hot wiring the car. 

A cool thing, if you lock your keys in your car, you can unlock the car, because the remote transmitter is inside the car, thus within range.

Finally, I have a Nissan, but I am guessing that most cars are the same. You have to put your foot on the break to start the car. So, you will not be pumping the gas peddle while trying to start it, thus eliminating the possibility of a car taking off from under you.

I think the button starter is great.

working