Are Synthetic Oils really worth it? (Like Royal Purple)???

1. Desertarmor profile image73
    Desertarmorposted 5 years ago

Are Synthetic Oils really worth it? (Like Royal Purple)???

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Ive recently started using RP in my engine and trans and there is nice difference, gas mileage isnt great for me (14mpg) but everything is just smooth and runs strong. It may have helped out my mileage by a mile or 2 at the most. The trans fluid was most noticeable though, much smoother shifts. To me its worth it and Ill keep using it.

3. MikeNV profile image80
    MikeNVposted 5 years ago

In the transmission probably not.  You are better off just dumping it completely on scheduled maintenance.  It won't get a change to wear out.

With Engines possible.  The molecules in synthetic oil do not wear out only the additives do so the length between changes can be longer.  It also depends on the amount of oil you need verses the cost of filters and changes.

I have transmission and oil coolers on my car so thermal breakdown is not a big issue.  But synthetic oil will not break down as rapidly under high heat.

Another thing to consider is that most engine wear is at start up and synthetic oils stay on the parts better not just all dropping into the pan so there is less wear at start up.

In the end it all comes down to cost vs longevity.

working