Water pump is missing a bolt, is it safe to drive my car?

1. Sondra9 profile image56
    Sondra9posted 3 years ago

Water pump is missing a bolt, is it safe to drive my car?

I had my water pump replaced. After the guy put everything back together, the guy tells me he lost one bolt. First he says don't drive the car, then he says as long as it doesn't over heat I'm good .  I will eventually replace the missing bolt, but is it safe to drive for now?

2. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 3 years ago

I would replace the bolt before driving it. Engines need coolant and the engine could be ruined,  costing a lot of money if it overheats just one time. Depending on the vehicle, the water pump would or could also have a seal of some kind that could be ruined by the coolant leaking.

3. arksys profile image90
    arksysposted 3 years ago

The water pump area will only leak when the engine has turned off and is still hot. Try the following steps.
    1. Make sure coolant in cooling system is full.
    2. Start the engine and run until the radiator fan starts running.
    3. Switch off and check for coolant leaks under the engine area. The leak may start 5 mins after switching the engine off so keep a 20-30 min wait time. If no leaks then he has applied enough silicone to keep you going.
    If there is a leak then you can still drive the car but just make sure the coolant is topped up every time you start the car.

working