- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
10 Home Based Businesses you can Start with a small Investment
What can you do?
What can you do?!?
Becoming a Business Owner can mean a lot of time and money investments that most of us simply don't have. One thing all entrepreneurs do have is DRIVE. In today's economy, many individuals have ditched corporate America and decided to go it alone and build their own empire! Running your own business may have some perks but it also comes with a lot of stress, sleepless nights, and a lot of leg work! Despite the drawbacks, being self employed has made a huge resurgence and the connectivity of the internet and social media have made it possible to build your empire from your couch while wearing pajamas! If you watch the television hit "Shark Tank" you will see "normal people" who dream up an idea...follow through and are either failing or thriving. When they are picked up by a "mentor" they really begin booming and make the big bucks. In real life....not everyone has a mentor and not everyone has a lot of money to invest. All they have is the desire to be their own boss! Think it can't happen with just a dream? Many self made millionaires and Fortune 500 companies are coming forth with stories of meager beginnings often in their garage or basements!
Check out these examples:
- Papa Johns - Papa Johns was started when the owner failed the LSAT. He returned home to help his father run a failing bar and decided that selling pizzas would save the business. He tore down a broom closet and the growth began!
- Facebook - we have all seen the movie and know that it was started by a college kid out of a dorm! Today, it is a household name and"big brother" when it comes to information databases.
- Coors Brewing company was started with a tiny $2000 investment! Just look at them now!
- Apple - yes..even Apple was started in a garage! Steve Wozniack and Steve Jobs used credit to purchase the necessary items to build their first computers and now are leaders in their industry...actually most industries.
The List Goes on and On!
So you want to be next on the list and you want to start your business out of your home...No problem! Here is a list of 10 home based businesses that you can start with little talent almost no money!
1. Lawn and Yard Care - Do you have a mower and a strong back? If you do...this is an easy one to start. There will be a lot of door knocking and dealing but you can start a large lawncare business with a shovel and mower! Be prepared to do any grunt work and don't invest in larger expensive equipment until you are ready. Instead, develop relationships with larger companies who you can contract that work to or collect a referral fee from. This keeps your investment low and profit margin HIGH!
2. Daycare - I did this for 2 years and found that it wasn't for me! Check into your state laws as many will restrict the number of children per adult before you go to a full fledged "State approved" facility. In Ohio, you can have up to 6 children without going through inspections so this is super easy. Clients can be found on Craigslist and so long as you keep a clean & kid friendly home and your prices reasonable...you can start this with no investment.
3. Recruiting- This takes a lot of connections but is a great low start-up business. You can do it for any industry that you are familiar with. Don't try a temp agency until you have a lot of capitol built up. You secure contracts, find candidates, and only get paid when someone gets hired. I am a restaurant and retail management recruiter and love it. It is high stress and the pay is variable but when its good..its great!
4. Party Planning - This is all about who you know! You will need connections and maybe need to throw a few large events for free to gain exposure but you have to invest only a little bit of time and advertising into this one! Make sure you have a BIG social media network! You will secure contracts, plan the details, and need to be present at the event to make sure it is smoothly executed.
5. Personal Shopper - These services are in demand in certain areas. Many people can benefit from their groceries, home goods, and clothing being shopped for and delivered. Building clientele can be very easy if you get the right clients!
6. Delivery Services - if you have a flat bed truck or SUV...you can start your own delivery business. Often, you will find ads online looking for owner operators to take on contracts for smaller local deliveries. Think of needs in the medical industry, magazine and paper delivery, and smaller companies. Not much is needed other than the ability to move quickly when called!
7. Senior services - There are a lot of seniors who simply need a friend or assistance with shopping and household chores. In these cases, families will seek out helpers to sit with their family member during the day and to assist in tasks when they can't be there. Be sure you love people for this one. You can have multiple "friends" and spend a few hours with each per day. Being cpr certified is a huge help but that costs less than $20 in most areas.
8. Personal Organizer - if you have OCD (I am trying to catch it..please) you can make money showing others hot to be clean and organized. This is all about advertising so be prepared to spread the word!
9. Cleaning Business - All you need are cleaning supplies and clients. You can work for individuals and businesses. Having a mix of both will ensure that you always have work! You need to find clients, secure contracts, set your prices, and most importantly DO A GOOD JOB. This is a business built on referrals and reviews!
10. Marketing - No degree needed to start your own door to door marketing company. All you need is a few great employees who will work on commission or a low hourly wage and have the ability to be a smooth talkers. A lot of companies are choosing to subcontract this work to marketing teams instead of doing it "in house" because turn over in this industry is high and training is expensive. Hiring a team of experienced all-stars works out better in the long run for both their sales and profit. If you get this started...Be frugal! Unless you live in a great climate, you will make most of your money in the summer and may have a lack of work in the winter (other than telesales). You can pick up accounts like gutter cleaning & home improvement companies, telecommunications, etc. Check craigslist!
So that is it! The list of 10 business you can start with no money and begin making CASH DAY 1! You will notice that I have left off things like Ebay, blogging, websites and catering because all of those will take time and money to build and it could be a while before you see any profit let alone income.
If you are ready to make the plunge into a home based business..good for you. All you need are some connections, entrepreneurial spirit, and a dream. Who knows....maybe you will be the next one on my list!