10 Tips for Corporate Leadership and Success
Every person aims to become a leader in the corporate world and works hard to reach this goal. But the true fact is that only working hard does not lead to corporate success. A person must have unmatched leadership qualities and must know how to behave in the corporate world to reach and maintain the position of a leader. And to learn this, I have written 10 tips for your corporate leadership and success:
1. Confidence is universally attractive: If you want people to respect you, start respecting yourself first. Be proud of yourself but not in a too flamboyant manner.
2. Yearn for knowledge: You will not be confident to speak on any topic unless you have appropriate knowledge about it. People listen to and analyze you on what you speak. Have adequate knowledge about the subject before staring to speak on it.
3. Have a flair for exact knowledge: Not just knowledge, but exact knowledge. This way none of the listeners will be able to challenge your knowledge on the topic. Plus humility and an inquiring mind are more attractive to others and make the leader more accessible and learning more appealing to the team.
4. Do not give in yourself to anybody: Do not try to flatter, get friendly, show your need, try to crack a deal, butter up, praise, or ask for personal contact details in your first meeting in a corporate. This will do things but will put your value down.
5. Do NOT express your opinion unless asked for: People don’t value what they get for free. Whenever and wherever possible, express your opinion only when you are asked for.
6. When you disagree, keep quite: If possible just smile and walk away. Let the people come behind you to ask why you smiled. If they don’t care why you smiled, they wouldn’t have cared for your opinion anyways.
7. Do not get offended on criticism: At least don’t show it on your face. Do not let people know that they have the power to hurt you. The more they try to criticize you, calmer you should be. Respond with a smile and in little words.
8. When you are compelled to answer questions: On which you don’t have adequate knowledge, choose to add value, sometimes that's with your knowledge but often it's with your humility. The leader does not have to know all the answers. People trust leaders who are real, honest and human and not those who appear to know everything. Also, you genuinely give your people an opportunity to develop by supporting them to learn something new and helping them understand that it's okay not to know some things and to have the capacity to find out. That is empowering others.
9. Pose yourself as approachable: Talk to everybody in the same friendly tone. Even with the newbies whom you are never going to see again. Smile always. It will keep you winning.
10. Collect outstanding ice-breakers: Don’t wait for someone to come and get you introduced to people. And also don’t go and introduce yourself to people. Strike a conversation with a good ice-breaker. Let’s says for example that you are attending a dinner meet with all unknown people. Enter and say while taking a seat “Hmm...so probably I am the youngest amongst you all ?”. This will start the conversation.
So above were a few tips for corporate leadership and success. These tips are not only meant for senior managers, vice presidents, or CEOs of companies but are also meant for junior executives and professionals in corporates to help them reach their ultimate goal of becoming a leader.