5 Women in Leadership Roles & How You Can be a Leader with Your Entry-Level Job for MBA freshers
This hub talks about the positive developments which are centered towards women, allowing them to find a place for themselves in some of the top positions in an organization, including the board of directors.
The market regulator, SEBI has made it madatory for NSE listed organizations to name one female director for which the deadline was April 1, 2015. As a result of which several companies have got a female director on-board and many of them are following the suit, which includes over 1000 companies present in the country. Around 250 companies have appointed a women director, as per the recent news.
This means that women who have a degree in management can chart their career path which would help them find themselves a spot in the board of directors of a company or to a C-level position. So here this hub will serve as a guiding light for you, starting from what was the careerpath of some of the leaders who are women, how you can actually make it to the top and what must you ensure when taking your first step with jobs for MBA freshers.
Rising Number of Women in B-Schools
The recent regulation of hiring a female board member is not the only ray of hope for women to create their success story. However, the rising number of women in B-schools supports the fact that women now are considering re-skilling themselves for better job prospects and a well rooted career.
According to a recent report, the class of 2015 has a batch size of 763 MBA graduates with 231 women students at ISB, which is a historic development since the establishment of the B-School. There has been a significant rise of 150% over the last seven years in the number of women enrolling for management courses, which is projected to rise up further in the coming years.
This does justify the fact that women now are craving to achieve more in their life, realize their dreams and make it to the top, which is now a sur with the new regulation passed by SEBI.
Women CEO's With An MBA Degree
MBA degree can take you to places and it is one of the most important educational qualification that arms you with the skills to make a business profitable and reach its business goals. MBA is not a man's world and these women CEOs have made this true by reaching to the apex of their career. Let us know about some of the women CEOs, who had started their career with jobs for MBA freshers like you are aiming to and realized their dreams.
Indra K. Nooyi , Chairman and CEO, PepsiCo
- She has an M.B.A. from the IIM-C and a Master of Public and Private Management from Yale University.
- Began her career with Johnson & Johnson in India.
- She has committed herself to conduct business by pursuing what's right for the people and the planet.
Vanitha Narayanan, MD, IBM India Private Limited
- She has a Masters in Business Administration from the University of Chennai and Master's in Business Administration in Information Systems.
- She currently spearheading the sales, marketing, services and global delivery in India and Southeast Asia.
- Vanitha started her career in 1987 with IBM and has over 25 years of experience.
Neelam Dhawan, Managing Director, HP
- She earned her Masters in Business Administration from the Faculty of Management, DU.
- She has served a variety of IT giants, including; IBM, HCL, and served as the Managing Director of Microsoft in the country.
- Crafting the business agenda, heading the strategy, and to make HP the most admired company in the country is what she focuses on.
Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director and CEO, ICICI Bank
- Earned her Master's degree in Management Studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai.
- Was honoured with Wockhardt Gold Medal for excellence in Management Studies as well as the J. N. Bose Gold Medal in Cost Accountancy for highest marks.
- Started her career as a management trainee with ICICI bank and made her way to the top management of ICICI Bank.
Shika Sharma, Managing Director and CEO, Axis Bank
- She has an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad.
- Serving as a Managing Director and CEO of Axis Bank since 2009.
- Known for her contribution towards digitizing transactions, expanding network and making AXIS bank the third largest private sector bank with assets worth $67 Billion.
How You Can Actually Get to The Top
We are always asked to earn a graduate degree, making our way to the top business school and further leading to a placement as a consultant or a banker. This point onwards, you need to seek the path which helps you earn a level up, further empowering you to make your way up the corporate ladder over a course of time.
The average experience for the women who have made it to the C-level positions is reported around 23 years in a single company at a stretch. Moreover, the long stint at a single company is just a drop in the bucket cause this is only achieveable when the environment fuels female ambition. A company's capability of nurturing your talent and helping you sustain the drive throught your transition in your career ladder, is a determinant of your success.
Worry not if you are not from a Top B- School, the key here is irrespective of your background, anyone can commit to an organization, which you can do by; devoting yourself to learn and contribute to the organization, wearing several hats throughout the stint and then with the holistic experience you can make your way to a C-Level position or emerge as a leader.
All over world many of the women CEOs have spent ten years in a company and over 20% started with jobs for MBA freshers in the same company. So we can assure that a long stint is the sure shot means to climb the career path.
And as far as entry-level positions are a concern, if you are ambitious along with the confidence to lead an organization then to quote the findings of a recent Brain survey tell us that; at mid-career, men's ambitions and the drive to reach the top remain the same, while that of women drop down drastically.
Keeping faith in oneself and staying aligned with the path is the key which would certainly unlock the doors for you right from jobs for MBA freshers to the moment you progress to a leadership job.
Taking the First Step
What starts well, ends well. Is an old saying which is yet applicable for you right from your entry job, as the career path for you does require the right environment, right mentorship and learning opportunities, only then one can prolifer in the cut-throat competition.
Finding such an opportunity is only possible with the expertise of a seasoned job consultant or a placement agency, however, such is not the case. Technology has found its place to help you meet with the right job and in the right environment, the same technology is begin used by those employers who want ambitious and confident women to lead from the front.
To find employment with the employers that provide an environment for you to nurture and lead to the top is made possible by, CareerBilder which is a human capital solutions company serves most of the Fortune 500 Companies all across the globe, out of which 24 are headed by women.
So if you have the flair and the undying desire to reach to the top, take calculated steps right from the first one, devise your own career path, stay focused and in no time you will embrace a C-level position.