Always Learning Is the Key
Being teachable is a great virtue today, in fact, this predisposition for learning is a fundamental condition for the evolution and, obviously, for the success of each one of us.
There are, however, people (often the most senior in a business context) who refuse to follow this path towards a richer life with regard to knowledge, thus being "overtaken" by the junior colleagues who, although do not have so much work experience, have a curious and humble spirit towards life, thus recognizing the need for constant learning.
Learning increases our competitiveness. In fact, if we want to remain competitive, we must not only invest in our own learning but also invest and facilitate access to the learning of “our people” - both teams, as well as family.
What defines a leader
The true leader is one who is genuinely pleased to see that his team members will be able to replace him one day and is not afraid to learn from them.
It is that person who recognizes that he does not know everything yet, nor will he ever know. It is that person who resists saying the famous phrase “I am the boss here”. And when I refer to the concept of a leader, I am talking about leadership in the professional sphere, but also personally.
One of the most profound and robust ways of developing our learning capacity is on job, that is: learning by doing, learning at work. While we are at work, we must learn.
I am not just referring to attending courses, training, webinars, but also putting the information learned into practice. In fact, knowledge will be worthless if it is not put into practice, do you not agree with me?
5 tips to maintain humility towards the concept of learning
1. Recognize that "knowledge is power". Power to decide, the power to manage all the issues of our life in the best way because we have the knowledge to do it.
2. If you have defined professional goals and if you already know what you have to do and learn to get there, ask for help, opinion, and guidance. Asking for help is a sign of intelligence.
Have a mentor and learn from him, because he has probably already traveled the path he wants to travel and has already arrived where he wants to go., so what he has to teach you is precious.
3. Take a risk. Knowledge is worthless if it is not put into practice. Trust your intuition, trust what you have learned, and make decisions.
4. Call your knowledge into question, listen to opinions, and other points of view. Develop active listening towards a more informed life and move away from the natural human tendency to judge other people.
5. Free yourself from limiting beliefs, emotional blocks, and self-destructive behaviors.
Having a humble attitude towards learning takes us far and, as a consequence, provides a more fulfilled, richer, and happier life. Isn't that what we all want?
© 2020 Manuela