ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Avoid The Biggest Mistake on Your CV or Resume

Updated on May 8, 2014
Source

Avoiding Spelling Mistakes

It seems obvious but spelling mistakes on this important document is a big no-no and can result in your application being rejected in the early stages.

Your resume and cover letters are your biggest opportunity to promote your skills, experience, knowledge and qualifications so ensuring you send them error free is essential.

Spell Check and Word Processing may not be enough to ensure correctness as these tools do not necessarily know the context in which your sentences are written and CVs or resumes are not generally formatted in a usual story and paragraph authoring style.

IOS users may experience further mistakes while using Auto Correct as this software may correct a word that you didn't intend to use.

Check, check and double check your CV and cover letter.

The biggest clanger is spelling mistakes of either the addressee name or company address. If you are unsure of any spellings then call the company to which you are applying and ask. If you are too shy to do that then use a search engine to find out the information. Just don’t get either wrong.

Minimise The Risk Of Rejection

A statistic that might shock you is that over 60% of CVs received have either spelling, typos or grammatical errors. It goes without saying that just by proof reading your CV to ensure there are no mistakes could in effect increase your chances and put you in the top 40%.

A common error with regard to spelling is that many computers and word processing software by default have the language settings as American English. This means that if you are a UK user, a variety of words may not be picked up as incorrect by spell checker or vice versa where you have actually typed the correct spelling but the pesky checker has you doubting your own abilities by underlining in red as though a mistake.

Having z and s mixed up is fairly common and can drive a Recruiter potty! Examples include maximize (US) vs maximise (UK), also specialize/ specialise, prioritize/ prioritise which are words found on many CVs.

Other words to check are the likes of color/ colour, favourite/ favourite.

Minimise the risk of being rejected and proof read, proof read and proof read again.

Source

Top Tips for Proof Reading Your CV

  • Read, re-read and re-read again.
  • Get rid of potential distractions. Switch your phone off.
  • Read it out loud.
  • Print it out and read it.
  • Read it upside down to focus on the typology.
  • Read it slowly.
  • Double and triple check small words such as "of", "if", "on", "to" and "is" which spell check or auto correct can interchange.
  • Check for Homonyms (words that share the same spelling or pronunciation but have different meanings.) Did you mean except but typed accept? Complement and compliment are very different.
  • Have you mixed your apostrophes? Common errors include confusing their and they're, its and it's, your and you're.
  • Are your capital letters in all the right places?
  • Ask a friend to proof read your CV for you.
  • Read your CV backwards one word at a time.
  • Take a break, walk away then come back and read it again.

Quick Poll

Do you proof read your CV or Resume several times before sending?

See results

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.

    working

    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

    Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)