- Business and Employment»
- Marketing & Sales
Ideas for Last Minute Business Holiday Gifts
Ack! Purchasing holiday business gifts for customers didn't make it on the To Do list in time. Or maybe sales were in a slump earlier in the year and gifts weren't even thought to be a possibility. But then a change of heart or financial situation makes them a priority.
But it's only a few days—or hours!—before a customer holiday event or meeting and there's no way to get branded promotional giveaways and business gifts without magic or major money outlays. What to do to preserve the business' brand and budget?
Never fear! Here are ideas for putting together last minute business holiday gifts that can impress with less time and cost. But here's the main goal: Make the gift choices look like they were intentional, not accidental!
More Advice for Business Gifts
Business Gift Shopping in "Christmas Past, Present and Future"
Unlike in the days of "Christmas Past," the options for securing business holiday gifts within a short time frame are greatly expanded in "Christmas Present." This is due to:
- More Quick Service Promotional Product Choices. More promotional products suppliers are offering quick turnaround on branded promotional items than ever, some as quick as 24 hours or less, usually with some limitations. Not only is this trend in response to market demand, but is facilitated by technological advances at every point in the production and ordering process. So even in a pinch, it's worth connecting with a promotional products distributor to see if any options exist.
- Round the Clock Shopping. For at least the past decade or more, brick-and-mortar retailers seem to be trying to outdo one another in terms of the number of hours they are open for shopping, some even being open Thanksgiving and up to 24 hours a day right before the holidays. And online retailers never close! So if unbranded retail gifts are being considered, business buyers can shop 'til they drop!
But here's a word of caution: Last-minute choices may incur rush charges and expedited shipping fees, both of which can be very expensive.
We'll likely see more of this always-on, on-demand shopping trend in "Christmas Future." But even these expanding options may not be fast enough for some last-minute situations.
The Gift Solution Down the Street
Two types of stores that always have extended hours, not just during holidays, are grocery and drug stores. Both of them can be sources for last minute business holiday gifts, too. Plus, most of these have many convenient locations, especially in larger metropolitan areas. Other sources down the street that can provide gifting goodies include coffee shops (i.e. Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, etc.).
Here are some ideas for what to buy at these alternative gift sources at the last minute:
- Cookies or candies that are typically packaged in boxes that can be easily dressed up with either stick-on or tied on gift bows. No wrapping required.
- Small gift bags that can be filled with tissue paper, wrapped candies and individual serving snacks. These are welcome goodies that recipients can munch on even after the holidays are over. Salespeople who know clients very well can customize selections for each based on their favorite foods.
- Floral arrangements are available at many grocery stores. Some of these stores have entire floral departments offering surprisingly beautiful selections.
- Pre-packaged specialty coffees and teas, topped with gift bows or placed in gift bags. Some coffee shops also package these purchases in bags that can do double duty as gift bags.
Pro Tip #1: A promotional item to have on hand for year-round branded gifting is custom printed wrapping ribbon with the company's name and/or logo. Can help turn any gift item purchased in retail into a branded promotion!
Pro Tip #2: Exercise caution when selecting food gifts due to allergies and other sensitivities. Click here for pros and cons of food gifts.
An Ebook that Can Change a Business
Even easier and faster than running down the street, is running to the Internet for purchasing gifts. And the gift notice is one email customers will want to open!
Lots of choices for business holiday e-gifts include:
- Music downloads.
- Audio books.
- Gift cards for app downloads.
- Gift certificates for merchandise, restaurants and more.
Missed the Holidays? No Problem!
If you missed giving for the traditional holidays altogether, no worries! In fact, it might even work out better. Thanksgiving and New Year's both represent excellent gifting opportunities:
And there may even be an argument that missing the holidays was intentional.
Disclaimer: Any examples used are for illustrative purposes only and do not suggest affiliation or endorsement. The author/publisher has used best efforts in preparation of this article. No representations or warranties for its contents, either expressed or implied, are offered or allowed and all parties disclaim any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for your particular purpose. The advice, strategies and recommendations presented herein may not be suitable for you, your situation or business. Consult with a professional adviser where and when appropriate. The author/publisher shall not be liable for any loss of profit or any other damages, including but not limited to special, incidental, consequential, or other damages. So by reading and using this information, you accept this risk.
© 2013 Heidi Thorne