- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs»
Cosmetic Manufacturing - How To Start Your Own Cosmetics Business
Making Cosmetics is Prestigious And High Profit
Wanna be the next MAC, Estee Lauder or L'Oreal?
Cosmetic manufacturing is a high profit business - and despite what you may have heard, you don't need a degree in cosmetic chemistry or a mega-dollar laboratory to get started.
You can start a cosmetic manufacturing venture without any previous experience or qualifications. If you can follow simple instructions, you can make any of the following cosmetic formulas and be on your way to becoming the next MAC, Revlon or Lush:
- Skin care formulations - acne preparations, anti-aging creams, days creams, night creams, toners, make-up removers, masques, etc
- Hair care formulations - shampoo, conditioners, styling sprays and liquids, hair balms, etc
- Suntanning sprays and lotions
- Self-tanning spray and lotions
- Color cosmetics - mineral formula makeup, foundations, lipsticks, lip balm, mascara, etc
- Body & Bath products - shower gel, bubble bath, body scrub, body lotion, body butter
- Hand care products - Hand creams and nail polish
- Baby Care Products - baby shampoo, baby bath, baby lotion, baby cream
- Men's Grooming Products - Skin care, shaving cream, after shave lotion
- Toiletries - Deodorants, handwashes, anti-bacterial hand soaps, guest toiletries for hotels
- Private label cosmetics - for salons, pharmacies, drugstores, etc
So, what do you need to start your own cosmetic manufacturing business?It's imperative to use professional cosmetic formulas - home made cosmetic recipes usually are not suitable for retail sale. To be acceptable for sale, cosmetic products must be free of pathogens for the length of their shelf life - usually 12-24 months.Homemade cosmetics will only last 2-3 weeks (in the refrigerator), before bacteria starts to grow. You may not always notice that a cream, lotion or liquid has started to develop microbes, but unless the cosmetic formulas were professionally structured, you are almost certain to have unwanted organisms.
With good cosmetic formulas in hand, you need only simple equipment - mixing containers and weighing/measuring devices - plus some bottles and jars - and you're good to go.
The ingredients used in cosmetic manufacturing are surprisingly inexpensive. Most cosmetic formulas comprise around 75% water - and the remaining ingredients are easily obtainable.You can manufacture some cosmetic and toiletry products for as little as 25 cents. A night cream which retails for more than $100 usually costs less than $3 to make. The profit margins are truly exceptional - unlike just about any other manufacturing business.
And nothing beats telling your friends: "I have my own cosmetic manufacturing business!"
Read more about cosmetic manufacturing at my other hub.