ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

How To Become A Childminder

Updated on February 16, 2014

Being a registered childminder

One way to have your own business and work from home is to become a childminder. It is a good way of earning money and being your own boss. If you enjoy working with children or you want to spend more time with your own kids, it is a great idea to have it all.

Do I Need Qualifications?

You don't need any formal qualifications to become a childminder in the UK. When you contact your local authority, they will explain how to become registered with OFSTED in your local area.

You would usually attend six or seven workshops. You get advice and support on the current National Standards (the Early Years Foundation Stage) and what is expected of you as a childcare worker. This includes courses on Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Safeguarding Children. You can apply to become registered at any time as long as you complete the workshops.

Courses will then be offered to you once you are up and running to keep familiar with standards and changes. These will include a mandatory First Aid course, Food Hygiene and help to complete your Policies and Procedures.

How Do I Become Registered?

Before you contact OFSTED, you will need to ensure your home is a safe environment for children to play in. If you are planning to childmind children under eight years old, consider fire guards and stair gates. You will need to do a risk assessment to ensure young children cannot hurt themselves on furniture, steps or gain access to harmful substances.

When an inspector from OFSTED comes to see you they will take you through the standards. This is to ensure you are aware of them. They will check all areas of your home where you intend to let the children have access to, and ensure you and other adults in your home have been police checked. They will then tell you how many children you are able to look after at one time (including your own children under the age of eight).

Does it matter if I live in an apartment?inspector

You don't need to have a big house to be able to childmind. As long as the environment is safe and you are competent, you will be fine.

I have a dog. Will that go against me?

An inspector will not refuse to register you if you have pets. As long as the parents of the children are fine with it, you will still get business.

How do I advertise?

You can go on a business course to help you promote and advertise yourself. You can use directories, business cards and word of mouth. Many parents will look on a government website, or Children's Information Service to find childcare in their local area. You can put your details on the website by contacting your authority.

Will I get lonely working by myself?

Toddler groups are great places for childminders. You can meet up with other childminders in your area and get support from one another.

You can also join a childminding network. You will get advice and support from the network coordinator and attend courses for further development. There will be places to meet up with other childminders or your coordinator will come to your home to help with risk assessments and contracts for parents. You will need to have a 'Welfare File' to show parents, and you will get help with this.

You can become accredited when you join the Childminding Network to make you more professional.

You should also get the opportunity to complete your NVQ's in childcare.

Can I Childmind with another person?

Many people will register with their husbands, wives or partners. It is a good way to get support when you take the children out to the play park or shop. You can also work with another registered childminder as you 'business partner'. You may be allowed to have more children in your care at one time, but you will still need to split your fees!

Once you are a childminder, you can develop your career as you wish. You may want to work part time having school children before and after school, or go onto working in a nursery setting. It can be a rewarding job and a great way to network with others.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)