How To Choose A Career
You may be at a crossroads at the moment, contemplating on which career path to take. Such a decision, after all, is one of the most important ones you will be making in your lifetime. It could be that you are a fresh graduate who is about to join the workforce of the real world, or perhaps even just a teenager preparing to embark on your college course. This is also a big decision to make for many who have been working for quite some time already, and are thinking about shifting careers. No matter what your particular situation is at this time, it is best for you to consider several essential factors in choosing your career. How to choose a career is a serious matter that you must learn about and think carefully about before moving on to the real jobs and to your big dreams in your professional life.
What To Consider In Choosing A Career
Before plunging head-on into that pool of work opportunities, it is important for you to find out first several things that will affect the process of selecting a career. Here are the things you should take into account before going into how to choose a career:
- Interests. It is crucial to consider your interests so that you can enjoy what you do for a living. For instance, if you really love to write, then it would be great for you to work as a writer in a large company. But if, for example, you apply to become a teacher but do not really like interacting with kids, you better think twice or you may regret this kind of work in the long run even if there are great opportunities involved. Remember that when you love what you are doing, this can result in better performance and success too.
- Skills. Of course you cannot take on a job which entails skills that you do not possess. For instance, if you have always had difficulty with your Math subjects, maybe it is not advisable for you to take up Accounting or Engineering. On the other hand, someone who has a natural flair for the arts may have a bright future as a practicing artist, photographer, and the like. It is essential, though, to take note here that you can always learn the necessary skills.
- Personality. It would not make sense for an outgoing person to work all day long in front of a desktop computer. He could die of boredom, and will probably not succeed in this kind of job. Instead, he should engage in work that allows him to be surrounded by many people and to be able to express himself. Naturally, you should always consider your personality before going into how to choose a career.
- Values. What are your values? If you value family, for example, you should not take on a career that will require you to always be away from them. If you value education, then perhaps you should work in a school. These are just some of the examples of values which people may have. Think about your own, and if they are suited to the career you wish to pursue.
How To Go About Choosing A Career
How to choose a career involves the following steps:
- Assess yourself. This means you will have to carefully consider your personality, set of skills, values, and interests (as discussed above). You may also opt to take some career tests to help you decide.
- Envision yourself. It is important to have a vision if you want to become successful. What do you picture yourself doing in the next few years and after more than 10 years? This can help you set your goals and decide on the career path you want to take. You can also make a list of the different occupations you would like to explore. Try doing a pros and cons list too for these occupations.
- Research on your desired occupations. Try to interview people who are already doing the job you are dreaming of, so as to get an insider’s point of view and to have an idea if you would really like it. Also find out about other aspects of the job.
- Set specific goals. Do not come up with a goal such as “I want to be a doctor”. Instead, you can list down several goals such as “Finish medical school by year _____” and “Apply at ______ Hospital”.
- Train for your new career. Find out how you can get the proper education, training, licenses, etc. for the career you want. It would be great to also have a feel of the actual job through internship and volunteerism.
Now you are all set! When going over how to choose a career, keep the above steps in mind and take them to heart. Nevertheless, it is still helpful to maintain an open mind about other opportunities that may come your way.