- Business and Employment»
- Business Management & Leadership
How To Make Professional Power Moves
Making Power Moves requires one to have a clear understanding of the goals, landscape and steps required to journey from point A to point B. Once an individual has established these preliminary steps – one is primed for unfiltered growth or a power move.
I define a power move as a progressive step designed to assertively extend ones reach. Teams that are successful regularly exercise this type of movement to bridge productivity gaps and outperform competition. This establishes an assertive problem solving methodology that has tangible and intangible benefits:
Power is not only what you have but what they think you have. That said, when planning a power moves – one should identify the following elements first.
Identify Strengths & Weaknesses
- To successfully accomplish a power move an individual or team has to stay within their wheel house. This decision insures a concerted effort will be made.
Identify Enemy / Oppositions Strengths & Weaknesses
- To maximize the impact of a power move you need to exploit your competitions weaknesses and avoid their key competencies. This decision positions you and your supporters to maximize impact.
- When identifying a plan set S.M.A.R.T. goals to help you gauge your progress from start to finish. This technique insures that your plan is quantifiable, which affords you the data necessary to build upon your progress.
Attack on Multiple Fronts
- Once you have established your plans target it is important that you identify multiple angles to approach the situation. This technique insures that you are properly allocating your resources and maximizing potential opportunities to achieve success.
Personalize Your Approach
- Attacking on multiple fronts is not enough, you will also need to personalize your approach to avoid potential missteps and maximize the constructive output of your actions. Remember the more disruptive your power move appears – the more likely you will be to invoke a response from your opposition. This reality highlights the value of personalizing your techniques.
- If your power move is successful several alternative routes / approaches will present them self. These options will be valuable because in most instances your initially power move will require revision at various milestones in route to completion. That is to say, most outcomes will differ greatly from your initial intended result
- Accomplishing goals with a powerful return on investment is seldom easy. The complexity of your goals couple with the external challenges impeding your progress will negatively impact your team. Draining your energy and morale at every step along the path to completion. Thus, inspiring your team and identifying morale boosters in the face of adversity is invaluable. Simply stated, leaders who react to controversy with a calming presence make power moves.
Grit it Out
- In most instances power moves are more about grit then they are about pre-planning: Professional situations like life situations are random occurrences that are resolved by the individuals who are willing to master fortitude and ingenuity; opposed to relying on stagnant planning and rigidly defined activity. The leaders who are willing to work in spite of the negative opposition will succeed.