- Business and Employment»
- Employment & Jobs»
How To Write Areas of Expertise on Your Resume
What are Core Competencies?
It is term coined by Prahalad, C.K. and Hamel, G. and is typically used for companies.
> A core competency can take various forms, including technical/subject matter know-how, a reliable process and/or close relationships with customers and suppliers.
> Core competencies are particular strengths relative to other organizations in the industry which provide the fundamental basis for the provision of added value.
> Core competencies are the collective learning in organizations, and involve how to coordinate diverse production skills and integrate multiple streams of technologies. It is communication, an involvement and a deep commitment to working across organizational boundaries.
> Few companies are likely to build world leadership in more than five or six fundamental competencies.
But increasingly we see it being used for individuals.
the Go-To guys are now developing these are core-competence and it is this focus that is getting them higher remuneration.
Companies are most often than not looking for specific skills. We covered this in Skill-Set, but what core competency does is that it articulates those skills and what those skills are able to do.
Hence a core competence in say launching new products in a developing country will find many takers especially those who want that competence in their team.
You should look at what you can bring to the company, what is it that the company needs and that should do go on to this part of the resume.
- Your core competence should be back by accomplishments and achievements.
- An appropriate degree/award may be required to establish credentials
- Your work ex is the best exponent of your core competence. If you have handled and successfully handled challenges that prove your competence, then you should list it on your resume.
- Do not list more than 3 or 4 core competencies. The idea is that this is niche and that you are an expert. You really cannot become an expert in so many fields. If you are, then choose the ones with the most impact on the job profile you are applying for and list those.
- Do not sound pompous
- Do not assume no one on the interview panel would know on this topic as much as you do.
- Be ready to defend your claims in the interview. Your answers, your knowledge will be tested. But this is a super opportunity to lead the interview rather than react to it.