- Business and Employment»
- Learn Business Skills
Tips on How to Become a Strong Group Leader
Me, A Leader?
I didn't grow up wanting to be a leader. As a young child, I started out being very much a follower, not knowing much about the world of social interactions. I always felt "on the outside", a tad out of place with other human beings. So, I grew used to just doing my own thing.
Along with social awkwardness, I was painfully shy. Simple conversations were often difficult for me. The thought of standing up in front of a crowd and speaking scared the absolute crap out of me (and still does to a reasonably substantial extent to this very day).
So, to be completely honest, I'm sitting here, writing this Hub on "How to Become a Strong Group Leader", thinking once again... Me, A Leader?! How the heck did that happen?
Given that brief summary of my background, you might guess that I never set a goal to become a leader. If so, you'd be right. I still, often, balk at the idea of me, leading other people. Who am I to advise others? What do I know?
Apparently, I've been running from something for which I have somewhat of a natural talent. Who knew?!
So, How Do I Become a Leader?
Like I said, I have pretty much fallen into a leadership role, without really intending to do so. I began a fitness and weight loss journey in February 2010. I have worked hard to develop the self-discipline a journey such as this absolutely requires. I have made the firm realization that I am solely responsible for my own actions and inactions.
So, by taking the reigns in my own life and diligently working at forming new positive habits to replace old broken ones, before I knew it, I'd inadvertently started a trend in my family and some of my circle of friends. Others began asking me advice, and looking to me for inspiration and guidance.
I believe the best leaders lead by example. What better way to show others what works for you, and what may also work for them? So, one big tip on becoming a great leader: Be the kind of leader YOU would follow.
What Else Can I Do to Become A Better Leader?
There are many ways in which to be an effective group leader. Here are but a few tips that I have learned through my own experiences:
- Show those in your group true appreciation. Let them know their input and ideas matter.
- Never stop learning! A true leader continues to take in new information, always staying open to new ideas, new ways of doing things and fresh perspectives. Stay flexible.
- Inspire and be inspired. Stay passionate and committed to your group's goals and continually boost morale by reminding everyone what it is they are working so hard toward.
- Dig in and BE an active part of the team effort. Stay involved, show your own commitment, and it will naturally "rub off" on other group members.
- Be compassionate, thoughtful, encouraging, positive, confident and firm but fair.
- Take your fair share of responsibility when things don't go as planned. And don't take more than your fair share of credit when things go right.
If you have any tips you can add to this list, please leave a comment below. I love to offer places where pools of shared knowledge, tips, tricks and techniques can reside! :)