How to Develop Cost-Effective Technology
Technology for Poor
Centre of Science for Villages
(1) Description of the Supplier
a) To identify the problems of the villages which can be solved through science and technology intervention?
b) To find out or to evolve an appropriate technology to solve the problem to carry out research and development activities.
c) To field test the technologies for necessary corrections and modification for making the technology viable in the field.
d) To carry out extension activities for popularizing technology amongst the target group and convert the technology into the viable trade i.e. entrepreneurship development.
e) To publish the relevant literature for wider circulation.
f) To influence the policy makers for incorporating a viable system into government program.
a) Housing - Low cost mud house having a vault roof without any under structure
b) Sanitation - Low on water, high on hygiene.
c) Renewable energy - Popularization, construction and maintenance of biogas plant through training the village groups.
d) Handmade Paper & Board - By using biomass having low cellulosic fibers like Banana stem, Saw dust, coir pith dust etc. A technology have been evolved to make boards which can be used as expansion joints, as a acoustic board as falls ceiling, as partition boards and making containers of different sizes etc.
e) Honey from rock bee - Honey from the rock bees is extracted in a non-violent manner.
f) Non wheel Pottery - Variety of utility items is made using red clay with the help of moulds.
g) Production of organic manure using agro waste, city waste etc.
h) Production of bio-fertilizer using local microbial strains.
i) Production of bio-pesticides using variety of un- getable biomass in a decentralized manner.
j) Production of seedlings and saplings using modern nursery techniques.
k) Production of the most efficient system of irrigation using clay emitters.
l) Collection & processing of tree born gums of different varieties.
m) Collection of cultivation of herbal medicine.
n) Production, collection and processing of fruits, cereals, pulses and vegetables.
o) Production and processing of spirulina - a wonderful food.
p) Production of hand spun and hand-woven cloth (Khadi)
q) Production of agricultural tools, machines for artisanal use and other hand tools.
r) Cultivation , collection and processing of essential oil yielding plants species.
s) Production of biodynamic preparations
· Time line/History of supplier –
CSV started its activities in the year 1975 as a wing of Magan Sangrahalaya Samiti, Wardha. From 20th Jan., 1984 onwards its started functioning as an independent organization. In the last 35 years CSV has evolved and optimize field tested and transport at least 75 different technologies. At least 10 programs are now a part of government policy. It has trained more than 20,000 people and has networking of at least 700 national and international voluntary organizations.
Short term and long term plans:
CSV plans to evolve appropriate technologies and convert them into micro-enterprises. CSV is trying to establish ecologically sound, economically viable and socially just word order.
(2) Stakeholder description :
* Producer - Self-help group
* Member - Executive Committee
* Share holders - Executive Committee
* Trade intermediaries - CSV and its shop
* NGOs - More than 50 local and national voluntary organizations.
* ATO's - IRFT, India
* Funders - Various ministries of Govt. of India
(3) Commercial viabilities -
1. Conical tiles 10. Emitter
2. Face tiles 11. Gum
3. Honey 12. Spirulina
5. Food Products - Jams, Jelly, pickles, squash, beverages etc
6. Handmade paper & Board 14. Compost
7. Machines for Artisans 15. Earthworms
8. Solar Cooker 16. Herbal Pesticides
9. Magan Chullha 17. Bio-fertilizers
10. Various Pottery wares like
11. Medicinal herbs & their products
20. Agricultural tools.
Communities in need:
* In what way is the producer community disadvantage or marginalized - A producer communities do not have excess to appropriate technologies and tools revolving funds, processing facilities and market linages hence this community are disadvantages and marginalized.
Locally, regionally and nationally what social changes are taking place - locally people are being organized into self help groups. Regionally the self-help groups are establishing their own network and processing the raw material at common facility center (CFC).
Nationally govt. of India is formulating appropriate policies so that concept of self helps groups and CFC gets firm footing in the society. Because of this policy changes the casual labors are becoming Para technologist and they are ready to establish micro enterprises. Thus the agrarian economy is being replaced by industrial economy
(5) Benefits of trades:
* Economy benefits provided to producers - Because of S & T interventions of CSV, people are earning 3 to 5 times more economic benefits.
* Non-economic benefits to producers - Because of CSV's intervention, the following non-economic benefits are accrued by the producers.( Cultural, Social, Educational, Political)
(6) Environmental Considerations
* CSV is promoting is promoting organic farming, utilization of local resources (Gram Swaraj).
Hand Made Paper Market Report
C.S.V.FEASIBILITY STUDY HAND MADE PAPER
Present Market Scenario
From recycled waste.
Small Indian Market.
Big international market.
Socially accountable environment friendly companies.
CHEAP RAW MATERIAL.
NO LONG TERM PLANS AND STRATEGY FOR GROWTH.
NO MARKETING DEPARTMENT AND PERSONNEL.
NO COSTING SYSTEM.
FAST CHANGING MARKET.
FAR AWAY BUYERS.
NEW PLAYERS COMING.
NO PROTECTION FROM GOVT. FOR INDUSTRY.
COSTING SYSTEM .
LONG TERM STRATEGY.
NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT.
INDIAN MARKET PLAYERS
FEW OTHER SUPPLIER
STRATEGY FOR MARKETING
TWO OR THREE BULK BUYER IN INDIA WITH REGULAR COMMITMENTS
TWO BUYER FROM INTERNATIONAL MARKET.
HAND MADE PAPER IS FEASIBLE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY.
TOUGH & COMPETITIVE MARKET.
DESIGN AND PRODUCT IS IMPORTANT FOR SUSTAINABILITY.
MARKETING DEPARTMENT WITH ONLY MARKETING RESPONSIBILITY IS MUST.
SHOULD GO FOR MARKETING TIE-UPS.
IT IS GOOD IF INDEPENDENT MARKETING COMPANY WITH ONLY MARKETING RESPONSIBILITY IS PROMOTED IN LONG RUN.
PROPER COSTING & PRICING IS MUST.
C.S.V. SHOULD IMPLEMENT TQM TO BECOME COST EFFECTIVE.
NEW PRODUCT LINE IS IMPORTANT THEREFORE EVERY SIX MONTH NEW PRODUCT DESIGN SHOULD COME.