How to Find a Good Advertising Agency to Work For
Before you can begin preparing to apply to any agency, you have to know where you intend to apply. You can do this through a quick internet search or use some common web resources (like local ad club websites). This search does not have to be too extensive as you are just trying to get a feel for which agencies might be a good place for you based on your interests. While you research, there are a few things to consider.
Questions to Consider
- Location - Is this agency located someplace where you could see yourself living? Is it in a feasible location for you to get to, both financially and logistically? Will the location of this agency foster a good work environment? If something were to happen to my job at this agency, would I be able to find another job in this area without too much hassle?
- Size - Is this agency too big? Too small?
- Work - Does this agency have lauded and reputable work? Does their work and style align with my interests and skillset? Will this agency bring out the best work in me?
- Clients - Do they have too many clients? Not enough? Do they have notable clients? Do they have clients who I am ethically/morally against? Do they have clients who I feel like I can help?
- People - Are there too many people here? Too few? Are there people here I can see myself working with day in and day out, people who I will get along with? Are there people here who will help me grow and learn?
- Culture - Is the agency culture a right fit for me? Does it value the things that interest me (e.g. work ethic, transparency, mutual respect, experimentation, empowerment, etc.)?
These are just a few common considerations, but you will undoubtedly have your own personal considerations to think about when looking at all the agencies that are out there. The good news is, there are so many different types of agencies all over the globe, there will always be a place that will meet most, if not all, of your criteria.
Can you think of any more questions that might be helpful to think about? Please leave them in the comments section.