How to write a CV for SAP jobs
Writing a CV that gets you a job in SAP
Making a good SAP CV that will find you the kind of work you want can very frustrating - but why?
Simply put an SAP CV is designed to explain what it is that you have actually done in an SAP project in the past which is easy except for one small problem!
When writing a CV there are two very seperate audiences and both have special needs that need to be considered - 1 the client, who knows what they think they need on their project and 2 - the agency, who has no idea what is needed, cares less and just wants to make a sale - what you have done or will do is (in most cases) irrelevant to the agent.
1 - Write a CV that an agent can understand quickly and easily - dont try to be clever, if you do you will end up being offered washing glasses at SAP itself!
2 - Write a CV that is detailed enough for a client to really get information from - but low enough down the CV that the agent wont even bother looking there.
3 - Write a CV the best way you can but accept that some agents will never really read any further than SAP and then call you - these agents are the ones you dont want to repeatedly send your CV too! On the other side of the coin, it could be that the agent gets the right person for the job but by the time your CV arrives the client has changed their mind about what they actually want, or worse they could simply have forgotten they ever needed anyone - yes, that does happen!
So how do you format a CV that deals with most of these issues?
- At, or very near the top add a summary that explains, in simple terms what you actually do in an SAP project for the agents.
- Send a covering email to the agent explaining what you do within SAP.
- Never leave the name or contact details of your references on your CV - agents will contact them for work and your name will probably be mentioned - which will not please you or your reference.
- When describing your project experience in the body of the CV add as much relevant detail as possible so a client can see what experience you have - remember, if they need someone with a very detailed skill set for a specific jon they need to know if you have done that before.
- Add your education, including your SAP courses (list them for word search) to the bottom of the page - if the client needs to arrange a visa for travel the degree information would be useful to know.
- Always list your latest job first on the CV - the higher up the CV the better chance there is of it actually being read.
- Language knowledge is becoming more important every year - be sure to add your language skills, along with a realistic description of level of knowledge for both written and oral skills.
- Before sending your CV to an agent ask for confirmation that your CV will not be sent or used without your prior written permission - yes, agents are still sending out CV's without asking - this can cause some very nasty problems.
- Added to the above always request to know where your CV is being sent to - it is common for agents to prefer not to give you this information but duplicate CV's arriving on a desk is very unprofessional and usually the client simply ignores both, or all of them. Generally, once you agree to being represented the agent should give you the name of the client - after they have your CV but before it is sent.
- Lastly but not least - always make sure that the CV is accurate, never add or take away projects or positions - there will always be a way of finding out the truth and any 'mistakes' can invalidate any contract.
These are a few ideas that should help you arrive safely at a new SAP project or SAP job, the list is not ever going to be complete - if you know of something else that would help then please add a comment - even if it helps one person it is worthwhile doing.
Useful SAP related links
- ConsultantBox, agent free jobs, where your reputation counts
The home of the professional SAP consultants who want to build their reputation in the market, in front of SAP and their clients. The place where SAP consultants meet their next project, agent free. Join for free and start getting recommended now.
- SAP - Business Software Solutions Applications and Services
is the market and technology leader in business software solutions, providing comprehensive business software through SAP applications, services and support. Learn what SAP business solutions can do for your business.
- Homepage for SAP Professionals - SAP News - Help - SAP Security - SAP AG
The Homepage for SAP Professionals gives lots of necessary information about SAP, its initiatives and also connects SAP professionals worldwide.