- Business and Employment»
- Small Businesses & Entrepreneurs
Issues to Consider with Work at Home Jobs
Work at Home Jobs
Work at home jobs have the advantage of allowing you to minimize your overhead costs such as rent as well as other social factors such as being able to spend more time with the family. There are you few issues you need to consider before you start on any work at home jobs.
The Working Area
Regardless of the type of business, you will require the following;
- A computer – This could be a desktop or laptop with the necessary specs depending on the needs of your business.
- Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software – This is extremely important to protect your PC from attacks and exposure to identity theft. There are many great free anti - virus tools such as AVG and McAfee. However, for anti – spyware you need to purchase the extensions. Other great tools include Kaspersky, Norton and Spy Bot Search and Destroy.
- An Internet connection – You require a fast, reliable Internet connection. The speed of your Internet connection will be determined by your needs. For example, a website designer will more often than not require a faster Internet connection than a music instructor.
- The working area – Your home working area should afford you privacy and comfort. The furniture should be simple and basic; a desk with drawers, a high back fabric seat, telephone, stationery holders, a calendar, and possibly a shelf or cabinet. If you work well with background music then you could install an FM card to your PC and listen to your favorite FM station as you work. You may also need a CD rack to store your music. If you choose to set up your office in the basement, then you need to ensure that there is proper ventilation.
Work at home jobs have an uncanny way of causing entrepreneurs to loose focus on time management. There are always distractions at home which can cause you to fail to manage your time wisely. These distractions could be your immediate family who fail to understand that despite the fact that you are at home you are actually working and need to be given space to do so. Always ensure that your family understands you by explaining your work schedule to them and letting them know you are unavailable during certain hours.
If you happen to have a short attention span as do most people, break up your working periods into shorter portions. For example, you could take 30 minute breaks after every 3 hours of working.
Come up with a working schedule and commit to it. Failure to do so can lead to delayed order fulfillment, rushing to meet deadlines which ultimately impacts on the quality of work and generally affects your business reducing your bottom line.