Chicago Job Market Through 2026
Most Prosperous Growing Industries
Chicago, Illinois offers many job openings in a number of important industries. Job listings increased over 60% from the end of 2016 to the end of 2021, including over 11,000 opportunities to work remotely from home by December 2021.
The Healthcare Industry
The rapidly aging population of the Chicago, Cook County, Illinois and the Midwest and a surging health-consciousness among residents of the state has created a demand for jobs in the occupational titles of medical assistant, physician assistant, home health aide, physical therapist, occupational therapist, respiratory therapist, pharmacy technician, dental hygienist, and medical scientist.
Animals need healthcare as well, thus the Chicago area pet population needs more veterinary technicians and technologists, as well as veterinarians.
Information Technology (IT)
Chicago is attracting increasing numbers of information technology (IT) companies that are bringing job openings with them. These job titles include network systems and data communications analyst, database administrator, computer systems analyst, computer software engineer, and computer and information systems manager.
This is very important to Chicago's urban renewal projects. Chicago is also expanding quickly. This has led to a higher demand for all of those professions involved in city/urban planning, such as environmental engineer, landscape architect, and surveyor, to name a few. Chicago is working on green industries and sustainable resources in this area as well.
Many jobs are available for preschool and childcare teachers, early childhood administrators, K-12 teachers and administrators, special education specialists, vocational education teachers, and for teachers of self-improvement courses.
Job listings increased over 60% from the end of 2016 to the end of 2021, including over 11,000 opportunities to work remotely from home by December 2021.
Best Long-Term Jobs in Chicago
- Wind Turbine Manufacturing and Service Professionals at companies like Siemens, Invenergy, and Woodward MPC. Alternative energy professions are increasing in number.
- Truck Drivers
- Physical Therapists, and Occupational and Physical Therapy Assistants and Aides
- Registered Nurses
- Remote Workers in several fields
- Home Health Aides
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Operations Research Analysts
- Financial Advisors
- Optometrists and Hearing Specialists and Technicians
- Forensic Technicians
- Health Technologists and Support Staff
Over 80,000 job openings were listed during 4th Quarter 2016, compared to the 4th Quarter 2021 number of over 128,000 job listings, an increase of over 60%.
Top 12 Hiring Employers
- Northwestern Medicine
- Advocate Aurora Health
- Legacy Information Technology
- Clean Harbors: Sustainability in mining and energy.
- Jewel Osco Supermarkets
- Chicago Public Schools
- Northwestern Memorial Healthcare
- Aya Healthcare
- JPMorgan Chase
- University of Chicago
Best Categories of Workplaces for Job Vacancies
- Offices of Hospitals, Physicians, and Other Healthcare Practitioners
- Home Healthcare Services
- Public Health Services, especially Government
- Computer Systems and Data Companies
- Temp-to-Perm Employment Services
- Nursing and Residential Care Facilities
- Schools and Educational Support Services
- Management, Scientific and Technical Companies. Example: Argonne National Laboratory.
- Motor Vehicle and Parts Manufacturers and Dealers. Note that Chicago Assembly is the oldest operating ford assembly plant in America.
- Mineral and Energy Extraction and Manufacturing
- Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories
Highest Demand Jobs Expected Through 2026
- Truck Drivers, all types of vehicles
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Project Managers
- Account Executives
- Business Analysts
- Salespeople and Sales Representatives
- Event Specialists
- Java and other Software Developers
- Administrative Assistants
- Financial Analysts
Chicago Dream Job: Public Address Announcer, Wrigley Field
Find this position and many more Chicago sports listings that could lead to your Dream Job at major online job search engines.
"Become the new Voice of the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field":
- Strong vocal talent, excellent enunciation skills
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to speak extemporaneously to large crowds
- Strong knowledge of baseball
- Must be available for all Chicago Cubs 81 regular season home games, makeup games, tie breaker games, play-off games and non-game day events. Schedule includes nights, weekends, non-traditional hours and holidays, as needed
- Ability to work outdoors during periods of extreme weather
- Prior experience working as a Public Address Announcer in collegiate or professional sports (television or radio preferred)
- Interest in supporting Cubs' community and charitable efforts a plus"
Higher Education: City Colleges of Chicago
This group is a network of seven community colleges, a distance learning center for computer and internet-based studies, a culinary school, a French pastry school, and several satellite branches. This group of schools also has their own TV station, listed below.
- Richard J. Daley College
- Harold Washington College
- Kennedy-King College
- Malcolm X College
- Olive-Harvey College
- Harry S Truman College
- Wilbur Wright College
- Center for Distance Learning
- French Pastry School
- Washburne Culinary Institute
- Satellite Campuses
- WYCC Channel 20 - 21 DT
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne National Laboratory provides jobs and internships under the auspices of the University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy.
Supercomputing to help cure cancer.
Improvement in clean rooms and telescopes.
New ways to use hydrogen fuel.
Archaeology and dinosaurs.
New findings about the laws of physics.
Four-Year & Other Colleges and Universities
- Argonne National Laboratory - A large multi-program laboratory operated by the University of Chicago for the U.S. Department of Energy.
- School of the Art Institute
- Chicago State University
- College of DuPage
- College of Lake County
- Columbia College
- DePaul University
- Doc Films -- The Documentary Film Group is the oldest continuously running student film society in America. It provides low-cost, high-quality venues for a wide variety of films to the University of Chicago and city of Chicago.
- Dominican University
- East-West University
- Elmhurst College
- Harper College
- Harrington College of Design
- Illinois Institute of Technology
- International Academy of Design & Technology - Chicago
- Joliet Junior College
- Lake Forest College
- Loyola University of Chicago
- Loyola University of Chicago's Stritch School of Medicine
- Moody Bible Institute
- Northeastern Illinois University
- Northern Illinois University
- Northwestern University
- Oakton Community College
- Robert Morris College
- Roosevelt University
- Triton College
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- Wheaton College
- Westwood College Chicago
- Wilbur Wright College
- Governors State University
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS