- Business and Employment
New England Jobs in Rhode Island
Insurance and Finance Businesses Grow
The Financial Products and Insurance Industry includes such items as banking and financial products, investment portfolios, and business related products. Various lines of insurance are also included in this industry, especially growing since the advent of required health insurance under the Obama Administration.
Overall, this industry sector offers the most substantial business increases experienced around the State of Rhode Island as well as the highest percentages of increasing new job openings in the state from 2012 - 2016. If financial related jobs and products in Rhode Island are increasing, the state economy must also be rising.
Another industry that is on the rise since 2014 is the Transport Sector. Truck driving was the fastest growing occupation in most states during 2014 - 2015 and is continuing to increase in numbers of jobs offered in the later 2010s. This is true of Rhode Island.
Information Technology (IT) is a third leading industry among the Top 20 Fastest-Growing Jobs in Rhode Island. Several other various types of occupations complete the Top 20 list.
According to a 2014 state survey, 6.4% of employed Rhode Island residents aged 16 and older held more than one job simultaneously.
What is the State's Full Name?
Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.
Rhode Island Employment Outlook Through AD2022
Over 170,000 jobs will need to be filled in Rhode Island, according to the US Department of Labor.
The fastest growing occupational groups expected in this state include:
- Construction & Extraction [mineral mining, oil extraction, natural gas etc.]
- Healthcare Support
- Personal Care Jobs
- Computers & Mathematics - Information Technology, Engineering, and related.
- Business & Financial Operations
We can see that financial products and insurance will remain a top industry in the state long-term.
Jobs That Will Offer The Most Openings Through 2022
Certified Nursing Assistants or CNAs
Food Preparation & Servce Jobs
Registered Nurses (RNs)
Personal Care Aides and Home Health Aides (HHAs)
Retail Salespeople and Customer Service Representatives
Large Employers in Financial Products
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company: Insurance Products
- Bank of America: Banking Services And Products
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield Of Rhode Island: Insurance Products For Individuals And Groups.
- Citizens Financial Group Inc: Banking And Financial Products
- Fidelity Investments / Financial: Financing And Investing
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company: Insurance Products
- Sovereign Bank: Banking Services And Products
Successful Local Businesses
- Hasbro toy company headquarters located in Pawtucket RI and their Mr. Potato Head is the official travel ambassador for the state.
- The official drink of the state is coffee milk, which is milk containing coffee syrup. It is a little like a Mocha Ice Coffee at Tim Horton's.
- Doughnut shops are extremely popular in Rhode Island and you will find many of them in the state.
- Brown University, a major employer in this state, was named after Nicholas Brown, one of the leaders for ratifying the US Constitution.
Rhode Island Visitor And Job Seeker Information
Native American Business in Rhode Island
Aquidneck Indian Council
- Massachusett Language Revival Project
- Project Director: Strong Woman; President: Moondancer
- 12 Curry Avenue; Newport RI 02840-1412
- Phone: (401) 849-6555
Narragansett Indian Tribe
- Narragansett Indian Tribe; 4375-B South County Trail; Charlestown, RI 02813
- Phone: 401-364-1100
Pokanoket Tribe of the Wampanoag Nation
- Royal House of Pokanoket; 400 Metacom Avenue; Bristol, RI 02809
- Phone: (401)253-7600
Native Business and Service Organizations
- Rhode Island Indian Council; 807 Broad Street; Providence, RI 02907; Phone (401)781-1098 Ext. 26
- The Haffenreffer Museum of Anthropology, Brown University. Brown University is also a major employer.
- Tomaquag Museum: Tomaquag Museum has a unique collection of over 20,000 cultural objects along with hundreds of thousands of pieces of archival materials focusing on the Native peoples of New England and Rhode Island.
Higher Education in Rhode Island
- Brown University: Located on Waterman Street in Providence RI, this is one of the major local employers.
- Bryant College: Smithfield
- Community College of Rhode Island: Warwick, RI.
- Johnson and Wales University: Providence, Rhode Island; with facilities in other states. Degrees are offered in business, hospitality, culinary arts, technology. Undergraduate, graduate, are doctoral levels are achieved by many students. Located at 8 Abbott Park Pl, Providence, RI 02903.
- Naval War College: 686 Cushing Rd, Newport, RI 02841. The college has its own museum of the history of navy engagements.
- New England Institute of Technology: Warwick
- Providence College: Providence
- Rhode Island College: Providence
- Rhode Island School of Design: Providence
- Roger Williams University: Bristol
- Salve Regina University: Newport, Rhode Island
- University of Rhode Island: Kingston, Providence, Narragansett Bay, W. Alton Jones Campus
- Zion Bible College: Barrington, RI
Sports Related Opportunities in Rhode Island
© 2007 Patty Inglish