Leadership: Understanding Theory, Style, & Practice by John O. Alizor, Ph.D. - Book Review
Chapters in the book contain a wide range of leadership and management topics from theories and models, leadership styles, to leadership practice.
Leadership: Understanding Theory, Style, & Practice by John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
A new management book, called "Leadership: Understanding Theory, Style, & Practice" was released on May 6, 2013. The book was written, by John O. Alizor, Ph.D., as a guide for managers on "things you need to know about leading an organization." This is a short review including a brief synopsis of the book, about the author, quotes by the author, reader's reviews, book details, and other books on this topic.
Synopsis of The Book
Created for graduate-level courses in business management and leadership, this book is also a useful guide for government agencies, corporations, and executives to further improve the quality of their leadership skills. Leadership theory, styles, and practices, which effect the success of an organization, are discussed in thorough detail and in an educational way.
Three key parts of the book discuss theories and models of leadership, leadership styles, and leadership practice. There are twenty four chapters covering topics ranging from how to become a good and effective leader to leadership styles and case studies, and practices of interaction.
In the book's overview, Dr. Alizor's graduate research literature is pointed to as the basis for the framework of the book. He explains the "leadership styles that leaders employ in their day-to-day leadership judgments in varying fields such as healthcare, education, insurance, IT consulting, law enforcement, construction, and telecommunications", John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
To conclude, the book explains that leadership can be learned. We are not necessarily born as a leader as some believe. Because there are no born leaders, a person can seek leadership training if they want to learn the necessary skills to become an effective leader. "Leadership is a learnable skill, and like any other skill, it requires practice and ongoing professional development to perfect", John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
About the Author
John O. Alizor, Ph.D. has a compelling rags to riches story. Growing up in Nigeria, he was orphaned when his mother passed away. Her dying wish was for him to get an education. He developed his leadership skills, working from a young age, to influence the right people to help him get to America. "Now I have achieved the dream of becoming a self-made man with a great education. If I didn’t have the ability to lead I would never have been able to convince people to help me or give me a chance" John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
Alizor has over 35 years of experience in leadership roles and 14 years in education administration. In addition to his doctorate in leadership in educational administration, Dr. Alizor also has an education specialist degree. He applied his background in education, and years of experience, to the manufacturing industry where he made his first million dollars.
Dr. Alizor now has a consulting business in Long Beach, California called, John Alizor, PhD, Leadership Forensics Business Consulting. He offers services in seminars, coaching, job description creation, group workshops, and public speaking. His website includes links for online publications, entrepreneurial advise, an online business forum, free workshops for team building, words of encouragement, and his services for public speaking. The address for his website is located at leadershipforensicsbusiness.com.
Dr. John O. Alizer, PhD
DrAlizorLeadership Leadership Consulting Group
Quotes by the Author
- “I find that most business problems are simply people problems that could be solved with better leadership.” - John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
- "It is important to know that one leadership style is not better than the others are, because every situation may demand a particular leadership style". - John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
- "Even the experienced corporate executive may gain enlightenment about a completely new skill that can add value to his or her organization." - John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
- "Definitions of leadership are varied as its application, partly because people tend to use the terms leadership and management interchangeably. Leadership is not management." - John O. Alizor, Ph.D.
Did I miss anything in this review that you enjoyed? (Please share your thoughts in comments below.)
- "I got this as a gift. Im 23 years old but I really enjoyed what it had to say about being a leader versus managing. Dr. Alizor is pretty funny at times. Good summer read!" - Blankminds101
- "A must read for organizational leaders. The author meticulously research materials in terms of theories that cognitively, effectively reflected on transformational leaders and that would impact other types leadership in organizations. For educators and lifelong learners it is practically a trajectory toward making both strategic and tactical decisions. The author's in-depth analysis on the mitigating factors that lead up to critical decisions making are purveyors for leaders to understand. A well-crafted book for non-leaders to read for their daily decision making processes." - Chrystal
- "This book added to my leadership skills and on how I lead my organization, specifically in building authentic relationship with staff, clients, and all stakeholders in my industry. It answered questions that no other book has been able to answer for me that leaders are not born rather that leadership is a learned skill. This book is a must read for anyone leading an organization and wants to learn what it takes to run an organization and create a good working environment that is conducive to sustainable employee satisfaction. I have recommended this book to friends and clients currently in business and others that are planning to start a business. What I like most about the book is that it is easy to read and a lot of examples that helped me to understanding this complex subject, leadership." - Intellect2able
- ISBN-13: 9781449794040
- Publisher: WestBow Press A Division of Thomas Nelson
- Publication date: 5/6/2013
- Pages: 280
- Product dimensions: 6.00 (w) x 9.00 (h) x 0.63 (d)
Other Books On This Topic
- Leadership: Theory and Practice - By Peter G. Northouse
- Leading in a Culture of Change - By Michael Fullen
- Understanding Leadership - By Gayle C Avery