Nevada's Best Business and Job Centers
Space Plane Receives the Green Light
On New Year's Day 2019, NASA gave its support to Sierra Nevada Corporation to build the Dream Chaser space plane for transporting supplies and future astronauts to and from the International Space Station. This puts us a step closer to realizing the world envisioned by TV's The Jetsons in the 1960s. It also solves the American problem of relying on Russian spacecraft for the job.
This SNC space plane can travel to near-Earth orbit, unload its cargo, and fly back to Earth to land on an actual runway. The Dream Chaser is ready to begin servicing the ISS for NASA, with scheduling to commence in 2020 or early 2021.
NASA’s acknowledgement that SNC has completed this critical milestone and its approval of full production of the first Dream Chaser spacecraft is a major indication we are on the right path toward increasing vital science return for the industry.— John Curry of Sierra Nevada Corporation
Dream Chaser was initially designed to carry astronauts, but was redesigned for cargo transport as well. With its wings folded up, the spacecraft will ride inside a rocket, deploy, unload cargo and/or astronauts at the ISS, and fly back to an airport or spaceport in America. There, it will land on a conventional runway.
Western Business and Luxury Spot
Nevada is an ideal spot in the American West for a lucrative and luxurious Dream Career and a variety of jobs that pay well.
This state is an international hub for entertainment, gaming, hospitality, and increasingly, the aerospace industry. many of the growing cities make a network of oases in the convention and vacation arena, with growing retirement communities adding to the travel and tourism industry.
Oasis in the Old West
In singer and actor Dean Martin's last years, he talked often and fondly of his days as a blackjack dealer in Las Vegas. it seemed the most precious part of his personal history. The Greater Las Vegas Area is that in which most of Nevada's largest employers are located today. Suburbs of Vegas in Clark County are growing quickly and are becoming the fastest growing spots in the state.
I enjoy Nevada for it's climate and history, as well as for its tourist attractions and grand hotel-casinos. People are extremely friendly and customer service is a priority everywhere.
Attending conferences in Las Vegas has always been a lot of fun and I have met several famous personalities at writer's and poets conventions there: Milton Berle, Red Skelton, and Senator Eugene McCarthy in the past; but Lady Gaga began her residency there in 2018!
The nearby desert is beautiful and I have used Nevada-based desert video programs for relaxation training for several clients.
Top Nevada Cities for New Business
- Sparks, Nevada: This is the site of production of the exciting SNC Dream Chaser space plane. This city is adjacent to Lake Tahoe, California, providing ideal vacationing.
- Area 51: This may sound like a strange place, but the aviation and aerospace industries will likely develop 21st century businesses in this region as privatization of these services spreads. Local military installations are partnering with private business and local colleges and universities to develop new products, services, and training in aviation and aerospace work.
- Reno: During 2019, Reno has consistently provided more employer job listings than any other city in Nevada, four times the number offered in Sparks. The largest numbers of listings appear in healthcare, college-level education, and information technology. Naval Air Station Fallon is the Navy's leading air-to-air and air-to-ground training facility, found along Highway 95, 60 miles south of Reno.
- Las Vegas and Paradise: This remains the most successful entertainment region of the state, drawing clientele from across the world.Las Vegas is second only to Sparks in aviation and aerospace jobs, however. Creech Air Force Base, is 35 miles north of here and is home to the 432 Wing; drones and many other aviation/aerospace projects operate on base.
Fastest Growing Industries for the 2020s
- Aviation and aerospace, especially in engineering and technician slots.
- Information technology (IT)
- Education: K-12 and Colleges/Universities
- Entertainment/travel and tourism: MGM Resorts, Station Casinos, Harrah's, Grand Sierra Resorts, The Tropicana, Diamond Resorts, Las Vegas Sands
Jobs and Business Increases
Job listing numbers more than doubled from January 2010 to January 2014, with smaller but significant increases through 2019.
By mid-summer 2019, the state saw daily average job listings at over 30,000 slots, increasing further to the end of the year.
Highest Demand Jobs
- Software Developers: All industries requiring IT need these developers, especially in applications. That includes the aviation and aerospace sectors as well as healthcare.
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Mechanical and Industrial Engineers: These engineers design anything from mining and extracting machines to planes and spacecraft.
- Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses (LPNs and LVNs)
- Sales Representatives, especially in manufacturing that includes plane and spacecraft and their parts.
- Technical and Scientific Products
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Physicians, Surgeons and Dentists
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics; Machinists
- Software Developers, Systems Software
Additional High-to-Medium Demand Jobs
- Tourism/resort/entertainment jobs -- These also include IT.
- Licensed physical, occupational and massage therapists
- Registered Nurses (RNs): Includes Nurse Practitioners and Travelers.
- Salespeople: Particularly in insurance, retail sales, and groceries.
- Truck Drivers: CDL. Owner-operators and salaried.
- Bigelow Aerospace, LLC ion Las Vegas
- Sierra Nevada Corporation and Sierra Executive Solutions in Sparks
- Modern Technology Solutions, Inc.
- Gulfstream Aerospace in Las Vegas
- Aerion Supersonic
- STS technical Services
IT and Healthcare Jobs
Information technology is important int he insurance and healthcare industries on a growing basis in these following businesses:
Nationwide Insurance:Auto, Home, Life and Commercial
- 3073 W Craig Rd Suite 4; Las Vegas, NV 89032; 702-242-9900
Affordable Health Insurance/Alliance for Affordable Services -- A National Not-For-Profit Association
- 4550 West Oakley Blvd; Las Vegas, NV 89102; 702-875-6824
Allstate Insurance Co.:Auto-Home-Life-Renters
- 3231 N. Decatur #270; Las Vegas, NV 89130; 702-395-2755
Blueskies Financial:1837 Ruby Ln; Henderson, NV 89014; 702-491-7738
Chomko Insurance Services: Business and Personal Insurance Programs
- 270 Horizon Dr. #170; Henderson, NV 89015; 702-992-6800
Durante Insurance; Insurance and financial ptoducts for the Las Vegas Valley.
- 2375 S Jones #15; Las Vegas, NV 89146; 702-795-0840
Farmers Insurance; Home Auto Life Health Business and Specialty
- 2880 S. Jones #4; Las Vegas, NV 89146; 702-477-7776
Insure NV; affordable health insurance
- 724 S 9th St; Las Vegas, NV 89101; 702-648-1634
Knox Associates; Nevada Individual and Group Health, Life and Disability insurance
- 4412 West Charleston; Las Vegas, NV 89102; 702-656-5915
- 877-81-INSUR Toll-Free
Nevada Dental Insurance
- 4300 N Pecos #15; Las Vegas, NV 89115; 702-656-8043
The Mahoney Group
- Full Service Insurance Agency
- 6362 McLeod Drive, Suite 3; Las Vegas, NV 89120; 702-736-3672
Higher Education Around Nevada
- College of Southern Nevada: Las Vegas and satellite centers.
- Great Basin College in Elko. 1500 College Parkway, Elko, NV 89801.
- Sierra Nevada College at Lake Tahoe. 999 Tahoe Blvd, Incline Village NV 89451.
- Truckee Meadows Community College in Reno near Sparks. 7000 Dandini Blvd, Reno NV 89512.
- University of Nevada in Las Vegas. 4505 S Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas NV 89154.
- University of Nevada in Reno. 1664 N Virginia St, Reno NV 89557.
- Western Nevada College in Carson City, Douglas, Fallon, Fermley, Hawthorne, Lovelock, Smith, and Yerington.
- Best Companies to Work for in Sparks; Zippia.com, 2019.
- Comparison of job listings in January 2010, January 2014, and January 2019 at Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com throughout Nevada.
- Foust, J. Dream Chaser cleared to begin full-scale production. Space News; December 2018.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS