New Jobs and Business in Richmond, Virginia
Gateway Region of Virginia
The Richmond-Petersburg Metroplex of Virginia is home to approximately 1,100,000 people with a median household income of over $52,000 from 2016 - 2018. As such, it is seen as a gateway to the economy and culture of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The three top local industry clusters in this large, two-city community include
- Sales, and
- Service businesses.
The City of Richmond has been the Number One city in the US for expansion of incoming European business since the turn of the 21st century and this fact bolsters the local as well as state economy. The national economy benefits as well. with incoming businesses contributing to defense and aerospace endeavors.
Such defense and aerospace products and services can be used by the large military presence in Virginia, especially the US Navy.
Richmond-Petersburg Metro Area
Tobacco and Additional Growth Industries
Other industry sectors are growing in this region, include
- Health Services, and
- Government Occupations.
All of these are expected to continue expansion in Virginia, impacting the state and the nation.
Tobacco, the First Cash Crop Success
The long time tobacco industry continues to provide job openings in agriculture and manufacturing as well. The Virginia Tobacco Indemnification And Community Revitalization Commission provides grants for business and economic expansion to communities dependent on the tobacco economy.
Logistics, Warehousing, Transport, and Freight
Logistics is another healthy industry, based on the number and size of businesses in the Greater Richmond Area and the ample transportation and shipping services available. In fact, this Metroplex offers these 10 major companies involved in transport and freight:
- United Parcel Service (UPS),
- Wal-Mart Associates,
- Food Lion,
- Standard Motor Products,
- Grayson Mitchell,
- DSC Logistics, Inc.,
- Abilene Motor Express,
- R & L Carriers Shared Services
- American Freightways, and
- Genuine Parts Company.
Tourism: Monument Avenue and Museums
Finance, Sales, and Service
The Largest Non-Government Employers in the Richmond-Petersburg Metroplex are in the following list of financial, health, and sales establishments:
- Capital One Financial Corp
- HCA Inc
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health
- Wal-Mart Stores - Retail Sales
- Wachovia Corp. - Financial Products.
- Bon Secours Richmond Health
In addition to his list. Rolls Royce operates a large aerospace engine manufacturing concern in Prince George County in the Metroplex.
The Virginia Biotechnology Research Park and the Medical College of Virginia have produced a surge in medical science and bioscience products and jobs as well.
The Research Park covers over 34 acres in Downtown Richmond and additional branches in surrounding counties. Not surprisingly, Virgina is the 5th largest employer of tech workers in the United States.
Growing Jobs in Richmond - Petersburg
The Top 10 Jobs that provide the greatest numbers of openings through 2018 include the following occupational titles and their approximate average annual earnings:
- Truck Driving with CDL/ Owner-Operators - $50,000+
- Registered Nurses $48,000+
- Sales Representatives, especially Wholesale & Manufacturing and especially Aerospace Manufacturing - Increasing salaries and commissions, bonuses
- General & Operations Managers $85,000
- Management Analysts $76,000
- Elementary School Teachers, Mainstream $44,000
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications $68,000
- Computer Systems Analysts $68,000
- Secondary School Teachers, Mainstream $46,000
- Bookkeeping, Accounting, & Auditing Clerks $35,000+
Over 1,000 technology companies operate from this Greater Richmond Area and they employ workers in many of the list of jobs above.
The average annual wage of the 500,000+ workers in the Richmond-Petersburg combined area is over $40,000.
Foreign Business and Immigration Boost Economy
In Richmond alone by the end of 2016, 160 foreign businesses were making a profit, representing the contributions of 30 different countries. These include our neighbors Canada and Mexico, but also nations as far away as China, Japan, Singapore, and Taiwan.
The Richmond-Petersburg Area supports more than one million individuals. European business concerns make up an increasing proportion of the metropolitan area's economy and add to its growing population as a result.
Global business and the number of International job seekers is increasing in this area, reflecting on its proximity to the nation's capital and a burgeoning regional Aerospace and Defense Industry from the East Coast to the Space Corridor of Ohio.
The number of documented immigrating individuals into Richmond-Petersburg follow this list of the Top 10 Countries of ingress, according to the US Center for Immigration Studies in the early 21st century:
- Russian Federation
- China, Hong Kong & Taiwan
- United Kingdom
- Korea - This nation has become active in aerospace.
- El Salvador
When considering the foreign-born who are living in Richmond-Petersburg, the number is under 5.0% of the population. However, their international businesses invested over $1.3 Billion in the Metro Area in just two years from 2000 - 2002 and the amount of investments have increased since that time.
Virginia BioTechnology Research Park
Virginia's first technology business incubator is located inside its BioTechnology Research Park and helps start new businesses in the local economy every month.
The business incubator offers 27,000 square feet of labs, offices, meeting venues, and support services space in order to help new business get off the ground and running in the Greater Richmond Area. The successful incubator has brought multiple dozens of new technology companies to the Richmond-Petersburg Metroplex and to the Commonwealth of Virginia.
The Virginia BioTechnology Research Park is a functioning partnership among VCU, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the City of Richmond.
The research complex is a business park that covers 34 acres next to the VCU Medical Center Campus in Downtown Richmond, Virginia. It provides space for 3,000+ researchers, scientists and engineers in nearly 2,000,000 square feet of offices, lab space, and meeting areas. Its satellite branches in two additional counties in Virginia add even more space and talent.
The research park serves state and national medical facilities, including laboratories, and participates in research and development in the fields of forensics, biotoxins and methods of testing them, and best practices for management of the processes in organ transplants for America nationwide.
The research park and its business incubator provide a source of increasing numbers and types of jobs in the Greater Richmond Area, which may be found at the links below, along with company information.
Native American Reservations and Business
Two Native American Reservations are located within the Greater Richmond Area and these are the reservations the Mattaponi and the Pamunkey peoples. Both of these reservations support themselves through their own tribal businesses.
The Pamunkey are enterprising, They operate a museum, a fishery, and a pottery works, among other businesses, while the Mattaponi have a fish hatchery and an attached Marine and Science Center. Both Native North American Nations are successful in business.
An annual Pow Wow is held each June each year by these nations and is located just northeast of Richmond in King William County.
Tourism: Local Sports
Other Local Recreation and Sports
- SunTrust Richmond Marathon
- Richmond Baseball Academy
- Petersburg Sports: Petersburg Generals Baseball, East Coast Bowl: National Football Foundation
Petersburg Sports Complex
Colleges and Universties
Medical/Heathcare Training Schools
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
- Bon Secours Memorial School Of Nursing: 8550 Magellan Pkwy, Richmond, VA 23227
- St Marys Hospital School Of Radiologic Sciences
Other Higher Education Facilities
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Virginia Union University
- University of Richmond
- Bryant and Stratton College
- Centura College Westend
- Virginia College in Richmond
- Virginia State University (VSU)
- ECPI Technical College: 800 Moorefield Park Drive - Richmond, VA 23236
- Beta Tech
- Braxton School
- Industrial Training Company
- Moseley-Flint School Of Real Estate
- Salem College Community Music School: 210 N Mooreland Rd, Richmond, VA - (336) 721-2600
- Richmond Barber School
- Janards Beauty School
- Johnsons Beauty Academy
- Twin Image Beauty Academy
- Baptist Theological Seminary at Richmond
- Richmond Virginia Seminary
- Union Theological Seminary and Presbyterian School
- Virginia Institute of Pastoral Care
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS