Cover Letter Tips For Beginners
Cover Letter Essentials for Beginners
A cover letter is an important information source for employers when assessing a potential employee. For beginners preparing a cover letter helps the interview panel to understand the niche personality of a candidate expressed through the summary of the achievements. The cover letter otherwise is an opportunity to excel and stand apart from the rest of the applicants during a job application process.
The capabilities summarised in the cover letter may include the presentation of non-academic achievements, awards, projects, volunteering activities, etc. The cover letter is the gateway during the pre-screening stage of an interview process and will assure the candidate to scale past further screening stages too.
Essential Tips For Beginners
A cover letter needs to be presented in a simple manner to attract the attention of recruiters and gain a first impression. Below are a few essential tips to draft a cover letter for beginners-
- Introduction- You may begin the cover letter with a short introduction but the same should be limited to a paragraph. The introduction may also include an expression of your interest in applying for a job application. Always remember to provide the source of job advertisements for the job position applied, this will help the recruiters to keep a track of the source of the application.
- Keep it short- Always keep the summary of academic and other achievements through a short description. The summary should relate to your achievements mentioned in the CV.
- Creative Cover Letters- It is also recommended to choose a creative cover letter to demonstrate your calm personality. Add colors and graphics selectively and customize as per the template requirements. Do not add too many graphics that otherwise fade away from chances of conveying your interest otherwise expressed through an impressive cover letter.
- Personal Information- A cover letter is an opportunity to share brief personal information than in a full-fledged CV. Always share the personal information in a unique way that will help the recruiters to keep a track of it and reach out to you easily, whenever required. The details may include your contact number, email id, social media links, blogs, personal websites, etc.
- Volunteering and other activities- The employers will gauge your multi-tasking abilities and personality trait through your contribution to volunteering and other related activities mentioned in the cover letter. It may also include sports achievements, participation in cultural programs, contribution to college newsletters/magazines, etc.
- Sample Projects- It is also important to include any major projects undertaken during your study. Presenting the details about your projects will help the employers to assess your interest and also gauge your professionalism undertaken to complete a task otherwise.
- Training, Seminar, and Workshops Attended- It is recommended to include any major events related to training, seminar, and workshops you attended while representing your college. The information helps employers to understand your preparedness for networking and presentation skills. If you have also won accolades during these visits, you may include them too.
- Ending a Cover Letter-End the cover letter by expressing your interest that aligns with the goals, objectives, and mission of the organization. Express your willingness to contribute to the organization's growth through your skills and abilities, apart from educational qualification, that is presented in your cover letter.
Sample Cover Letter
The sample describes a detailed cover letter by a fresh college graduate applying for the position of an event organizer.
Dear <Recruiter Name>
I am interested to seek an opportunity for the position of event organizer in your firm and applying for the same as per the recent vacancy announcement in a job portal. I am happy to apply for this job position with a Post Graduate Diploma in Event Management. I am fluent in the English language and a native speaker of French.
I have experience in providing comprehensive support to outreach activities conducted as a part of the annual alumni fair for three years in University,<City>. Some of the overall exposure includes support to community & partner engagement, managing alumni registry, logistical support, vendor management, calendar management, budgeting, etc.
Thus the experience as an event volunteer at my University has helped me to contribute extensively to develop the event strategy to the University Administration Council. The opportunity has enabled me to grow as a leader and develop organizational skills and people management skills otherwise essential for an event management company.
I believe that my credentials presented through this cover letter and CV enclosed will be valuable to the <Organisation Name>. I am also available for an immediate appointment, if an opportunity arises for further discussion.
Cover letters help the candidates to understand the nuances of the job application process and the art of networking whilst providing scope for interaction with the recruiters. While the recruiters search for the right candidates for the job advertised.through a well-drafted cover letter enclosed with a resume.